Why have services like dentists or doctors never opened at weekends?

The health service is funded by working people but it is non working people who get a better service from it. They can attend appointments at any time of the day but working people have to either use annual leave or make up the time.

Yes its funded by working people, its also funded by a hell of a lot of pensioners who still pay tax on their company pensions and savings. Theres a lot of other countries that pay tax but don't have free health care, they pay for it or take medical insurance out for the service.

Would you feel the same if that happened in this country, pay your taxes and then your medical bills, I don't think so. It's time people stopped whinging and be thankfull for what we have.

The vast majority of GPs surgeries, although funded by the NHS, are actually privately enterprises. As they are private they are as the owner GP wishes. They're not obliged to do it so they don't. Although they are privately run there is little in the way of competition. Personally I think it should be made easier for patients to pick and choose their GP as this would introduce the element of competition that would force them to do things such as opening flexible hours.

I have worked in the NHS and GPs have a terrible reputation for being lazy and greedy. The last government did bring in some bill which was supposed to force them to open better hours but somehow they managed to find a loophole which meant they could take all the benefits intended for surgeries with flexible hours but not actually do the hours.

Yes its funded by working people, its also funded by a hell of a lot of pensioners who still pay tax on their company pensions and savings. Theres a lot of other countries that pay tax but don't have free health care, they pay for it or take medical insurance out for the service.

Would you feel the same if that happened in this country, pay your taxes and then your medical bills, I don't think so. It's time people stopped whinging and be thankfull for what we have.

It's not the people who don't works fault, but the NHS is largely run for people who don't work. There have been some really good schemes in the last few years such as the walk in centres in town which are very good for out of hours but aren't that widely advertised.

But there is an assumption by the NHS that people have endless flexibility to attend hospitals and doctors appointments during working hours. When you're attending for something which is chronic, requires regular testing or review of medication, this can really affect you at work if you're taking an appointment once a fortnight.

It's not the people who don't works fault, but the NHS is largely run for people who don't work. There have been some really good schemes in the last few years such as the walk in centres in town which are very good for out of hours but aren't that widely advertised.

But there is an assumption by the NHS that people have endless flexibility to attend hospitals and doctors appointments during working hours. When you're attending for something which is chronic, requires regular testing or review of medication, this can really affect you at work if you're taking an appointment once a fortnight.

How the hell do you work that one out, its for anyone working or not , who is ill or had an accident.

Most people require essential services like doctors and dentists, but yet they're never open at weekends which for most people is the only time they get to see one.

A doctors and dentists which only opens at weekends would be far more convenient and beneficial for the general public, than the ones we have now which only open during the week.

When I was in Sheffield during the early 1990's all mine were open at least Saturday mornings, some of them all day.

In Leeds now my GP has Late Wed (till 10pm) and Sat all day, and a Jewish dentist is open all Sunday.

Edit: we also have a walk in centre that is open till 10pm all evenings, and until 8pm Sat as well.

Archived