The cost of calling the police.

Recently, I was in North Yorkshire, and noticed a message on a police car saying, for non-urgent calls to the police phone 0845.......

I was surprised at this. It costs me way over the odds to phone 0845 numbers from my Virgin Landline. Won't this just serve to stop people phoning the police with possible very helpful information?

0845 is local rate from a BT Landline. Simple solution, use a BT Landline!

I don't have one. Lots of other people don't either, Rich.

And, let's face it, if you're phoning to give the police some information, it's not like you're going to want to ask your neighbours to use their phone, either.

It's not just that. I thought that, according to the press, Dr's surgeries had a deadline of the end of July that had been extended to August to change their 0845 numbers back to 0114 ones! So why should the police be different?

I don't have one. Lots of other people don't either, Rich.

And, let's face it, if you're phoning to give the police some information, it's not like you're going to want to ask your neighbours to use their phone, either.

It's not just that. I thought that, according to the press, Dr's surgeries had a deadline of the end of July that had been extended to August to change their 0845 numbers back to 0114 ones! So why should the police be different?

Neither do I, I changed from BT to TalkTalk Landline about 4 months ago, cos the line rental's about a third of the price of BT, and the calls are cheaper as well, including to non-geographic 0845 and 0870 call centre numbers.

Neither do I, I changed from BT to TalkTalk Landline about 4 months ago, cos the line rental's about a third of the price of BT, and the calls are cheaper as well, including to non-geographic 0845 and 0870 call centre numbers.

How are you getting on with it? Do you have a broadband deal? If I didn't have a package I would bin the VM phoneline yesterday!

How are you getting on with it? Do you have a broadband deal? If I didn't have a package I would bin the VM phoneline yesterday!

Quite good, the line quality's better than BT, and as I said the actual calls are cheaper, and even better I can ring my Parents for free as they're on TT as well.

I don't have TT Broadband though, been with O2 for about 2 years now and don't really want to change, especially when O2 has UK call centres.

Archived