What to wear, St Ledger races, Doncaster

I will be going to St Leger on the Saturday but may only be able to afford the £33 ticket in Grandstand, there is no dress code.

Will I look silly wearing a nice dress, do others still dress up in this area? The next ticket is £53 each, just a bit too pricey for entry only.:huh:

I will be going to St Leger on the Saturday but may only be able to afford the £33 ticket in Grandstand, there is no dress code.

Will I look silly wearing a nice dress, do others still dress up in this area? The next ticket is £53 each, just a bit too pricey for entry only.:huh:

You wont look silly at all. go for it and dont forget the hat.

I might go on the Saturday, I haven't been for years ,do they still have the free course ?

Last time I went I backed Riboson .e.w. it came 3rd I took 200/1...Bustino won it I backed that as well

Edited by Glamrocker

I will be going to St Leger on the Saturday but may only be able to afford the £33 ticket in Grandstand, there is no dress code. Will I look silly wearing a nice dress, do others still dress up in this area? The next ticket is £53 each, just a bit too pricey for entry only.:huh:

You'll be fine chezlyn, for those that aren't aware The St Leger is a week on Saturday the 10th of September.

Edited by Stan Tamudo

• 6 years later...

I realise that this is a very old thread, but we went to the St Leger for the first time this year and had the same dilemma, so I thought I might be able to offer advice for anyone for next year.

The only area where you are segregated is in the eating and bar areas in the grandstands. Everywhere else people mix, and yes, everyone is very dressed up, even in the general grandstand and family enclosure. If you dress as though you were attending a wedding you can't go far wrong - fascinator or hat recommended. Suit and tie for men. I saw 3 people at most wearing jeans that day, and they looked out of place.

The best advice I could give is don't wear very high heels. They may look great, but you will be on your feet a lot. The William Hill stand was selling flip flops for this reason, and I saw many women in flip flops by 2pm - not a good look! I wore kitten heels and they were perfect.