Norfolk pub.(bottom of lane)stories

I've used the pub for 37 years, Charlie and Shirley Bean who used to have it now live at Skegness, then the landlord from the Britania on Attercliffe took it, Jimmy is the Landlord now and is a decent bloke.

Old characters there are dozens, Ray morgan, Lishy Boardman, Lol Knight, Keith Littlewood, Albert fields, Crrel Carrington, Billy Fidler, Tony Lowe, Walt Deplege, Steve Lowry, Lol Parkin, Little Joss, etc, etc,etc,etc,

Half the bricklayers and steel erectors in Sheffield have used it at some time.

I've used the pub for 37 years, Charlie and Shirley Bean who used to have it now live at Skegness, then the landlord from the Britania on Attercliffe took it, Jimmy is the Landlord now and is a decent bloke.

Old characters there are dozens, Ray morgan, Lishy Boardman, Lol Knight, Keith Littlewood, Albert fields, Crrel Carrington, Billy Fidler, Tony Lowe, Walt Deplege, Steve Lowry, Lol Parkin, Little Joss, etc, etc,etc,etc,

A visit to Sheffield was never complete unless I dropped in at lunchtime for a pint with my Uncle Ken Morris, who used to hold court in the corner seat to the right as you came in. Used to bang his cane on the table to get your attention.

Old rogues and vagabonds, Sheffield legends who were now mostly superannuated pensioners, but the stories were fascinating.

That was Jerry Frith, my grandad and my nan pat. They had a few pubs on attercliffe and also eles where, the golden ball on attercliffe and sheffield arms upwell street been the main ones, he also used to be a brickie and knew alot of the people who went in the norfolk arms befor he took it over.

As anyone got any stories of the characters that frequent this pub past or present?

A lad who used to play the piano in the Norfolk used to dress up like Johny Kidd, [Johny Kidd and the Pirates].

The lads name is Paul and he still uses the Market most days, i have not seen him with his eye patch of late.

That was Jerry Frith, my grandad and my nan pat. They had a few pubs on attercliffe and also eles where, the golden ball on attercliffe and sheffield arms upwell street been the main ones, he also used to be a brickie and knew alot of the people who went in the norfolk arms befor he took it over.

Jerry and Pat were great pals of ours, they went with us to Benidorm Fiesta the first time they ever went, The trip was from the norfolk pub.

They were at the Britannia at the time and also the Landlord and landlady of the greyhound went as well as Charlie and Shirley from the Norfolk, Malc Seargent was there as well. I have had some great times with Jerry and Pat.

One day in Benidorm the banks all closed down because Benidorm was flooded with countrfeit money, Jerry had a big wad of pesetas and looked after us all with spanish money until the banks re-opened.

They went to the Sheffield Arms after the Norfolk,

Jerry and Pat were great pals of ours, they went with us to Benidorm Fiesta the first time they ever went, The trip was from the norfolk pub.

They were at the Britannia at the time and also the Landlord and landlady of the greyhound went as well as Charlie and Shirley from the Norfolk, Malc Seargent was there as well. I have had some great times with Jerry and Pat.

One day in Benidorm the banks all closed down because Benidorm was flooded with countrfeit money, Jerry had a big wad of pesetas and looked after us all with spanish money until the banks re-opened.

They went to the Sheffield Arms after the Norfolk,

Morning Alex,Where abouts is Malc Seargent now,

I used to knock about with him in the sixty,s we used the Milton pub on Milton St also the El Mambo cafe,

The last time i saw him was when he had a green grocers shop along with his wife at The Manor Top.

Morning Alex,Where abouts is Malc Seargent now,

I used to knock about with him in the sixty,s we used the Milton pub on Milton St also the El Mambo cafe,

The last time i saw him was when he had a green grocers shop along with his wife at The Manor Top.

He's still about mate but doesn't booze in Sheffield now.

Archived