A third of youth lags are foreign

I was going to say something similar. What does, "Likely" mean in this context?

I imagine he's working from the statistic that shows (I'm making up the numbers because I don't remember them exactly) that black people may make up perhaps 7% of the population but 20% of the prison population.

Most people don't even learn how to manipulate percentages properly, our education system is so poor; so they would assume, from that statistic alone, that black people are more likely to commit crime. In fact you don't have enough information to draw any conclusion on that score, and the reverse could easily be true. (On the last occasion I saw proper statistics, the reverse was true.)

I'll get thrashed for saying this, but I think anyone committing a crime should be deported.

And, of course, it goes without saying that there'd be more money to make life for English inmates utterly miserable, rather than it being a holiday camp for learning how to be a criminal.

It doesn't automatically follow that foreigners are more likely to commit crime. We don't have enough numbers to draw that conclusion.

I think we (you and I) may not have that information, but the authorities certainly do.

Archived