A third of youth lags are foreign

I was going to say something similar. What does, "Likely" mean in this context? Let's face it, he is talking utter gonads, fact.

Spot on. Fact. :nod:

I imagine he's working from the statistic that shows (I'm making up the numbers because I don't remember them exactly) that black people may make up perhaps 7% of the population but 20% of the prison population.

Most people don't even learn how to manipulate percentages properly, our education system is so poor; so they would assume, from that statistic alone, that black people are more likely to commit crime. In fact you don't have enough information to draw any conclusion on that score, and the reverse could easily be true. (On the last occasion I saw proper statistics, the reverse was true.)

Just a supposition, but, could it be that, proportionally, a "black" person is more likely to get a prison sentence for the same crime a "white" person would get a sentence of probation/ community service?

The three links you've posted show three different figures for foreign inmates-The Sun article 33%, the Telegraph one 16% and the Medical Justice article says 13%.

Which "proves" the Homer Simpson theorem that 71% of statistics are made up on the spot. (doesn't it?)

Just a supposition, but, could it be that, proportionally, a "black" person is more likely to get a prison sentence for the same crime a "white" person would get a sentence of probation/ community service?

That is a valid possibility, among a great many others. (One of which, of course, actually is that black people are naturally more criminal than white people. I discount that possibility as being anything more than theoretically possible, just as it's theoretically possible that people over six feet tall are naturally more criminal than short people.)

I'd hate to think it might be true, though.

That is a valid possibility, among a great many others. (One of which, of course, actually is that black people are naturally more criminal than white people. I discount that possibility as being anything more than theoretically possible, just as it's theoretically possible that people over six feet tall are naturally more criminal than short people.)

:wink: as a short person, I'd be pleased at that theoretical statistic, HN... :wink:

It's certainly a statistical fact that male crime far outstrips female crime which may suggest that genetics play a major role..not size, colour etc. Male prisons are full of a diversity of traits but with one defining factor...they are not female. :hihi:

Archived