Inappropriate advertising at family film viewing

Tell me something. Does your son find you embarrassing or overprotective?

No my son does not find me embarrassing or over protective but thankyou for your condescending query. What concerns me is that there were children as young as 4-5 yrs old in the cinema as it was rated as 12A ie A FAMILY FILM.

Do you think it appropriate to show 18 rated games to this age or are you just being provocative?:loopy:

...it was rated as 12A ie A FAMILY FILM...

Not really, BBFC says:

Exactly the same criteria are used to classify works at ‘12A’ and ‘12’. These categories are awarded where the material is suitable, in general, only for those aged 12 and over. Works classified at these categories may upset children under 12 or contain material which many parents will find unsuitable for them.

The ‘12A’ category exists only for cinema films. No one younger than 12 may see a ‘12A’ film in a cinema unless accompanied by an adult, and films classified ‘12A’ are not recommended for a child below 12. An adult may take a younger child if, in their judgement, the film is suitable for that particular child. In such circumstances, responsibility for allowing a child under 12 to view lies with the accompanying adult.

The ‘12’ category exists only for video works. No one younger than 12 may rent or buy a ‘12’ rated video work.

No my son does not find me embarrassing or over protective but thankyou for your condescending query. What concerns me is that there were children as young as 4-5 yrs old in the cinema as it was rated as 12A ie A FAMILY FILM.

Do you think it appropriate to show 18 rated games to this age or are you just being provocative?:loopy:

I don't think it's appropriate to take children to a 12 film if they aren't 12. The A means they have to be accompanied 'cos it's likely yo scare/shock/upset them if they are under 12. It doesn't mean it's a family film.

From the BBFC site:

Suitable for 12 years and over

Exactly the same criteria are used to classify works at ‘12A’ and ‘12’. These categories are awarded where the material is suitable, in general, only for those aged 12 and over. Works classified at these categories may upset children under 12 or contain material which many parents will find unsuitable for them.

The ‘12A’ category exists only for cinema films. No one younger than 12 may see a ‘12A’ film in a cinema unless accompanied by an adult, and films classified ‘12A’ are not recommended for a child below 12. An adult may take a younger child if, in their judgement, the film is suitable for that particular child. In such circumstances, responsibility for allowing a child under 12 to view lies with the accompanying adult.

The ‘12’ category exists only for video works. No one younger than 12 may rent or buy a ‘12’ rated video work.

I wouldn't have thought Cowboys & Aliens was suitable for a 12 year old personally.

It isn't, I'm 35 and went to see it last week, I fell asleep at least twice from boredom! :rolleyes:

...there were children as young as 4-5 yrs old in the cinema as it was rated as 12A ie A FAMILY FILM. ...

Which demonstrates once again why the BBFC should have gone with their original plan of adding a lower age limit of 8 to the 12A certificate, and not allowed parents the flexibility to assess the film's content in relation to their own children's emotional maturity.

The BBFC has provided parents with the means to do so: the pBBFC website. Even a quick browse through newspaper reviews would give some insight into the film's content.

It seems some people are incapable of using the available resources - and common sense - to come to a sensible, responsible, informed decision.

As for the ads: their content will be rated as suitable for a 12A audience, irrespective of whether the product being advertised is aimed at an adult market. That 18 certificate games are available and promoted to a general audience isn't an invitation for parents to allow their children access to those games. There's that parental responsibility thing again...

There were 4 to 5 year olds in a film that's rated to be suitable for 12+.

The ‘12A’ category exists only for cinema films. No one younger than 12 may see a ‘12A’ film in a cinema unless accompanied by an adult, and films classified ‘12A’ are not recommended for a child below 12

The trailers would all be appropriate, so although they might be trailers for an 18 film, the content of the trailer wouldn't be rated at more than 12A.

Adverts for computer games probably don't have any rating, but if they do again it will be appropriate for the category of the film.

Games ratings are only advisory.

Archived