Inappropriate advertising at family film viewing

since when has a 12A been classed as a family film? it's your own fault for not researching properly, and giving into the whims of your child who wanted to see it.

That isn't the first time that has been mentioned regarding films and probably not the last either.

(I think Batman was the last time on SF - surprised Potter wasn't slated actually)

The trailers would all be appropriate, so although they might be trailers for an 18 film, the content of the trailer wouldn't be rated at more than 12A.

Adverts for computer games probably don't have any rating, but if they do again it will be appropriate for the category of the film.

Games ratings are only advisory.

Thats right, the films will have various different trailers, if you're watching an 18 rated film, then the trailers shown there will be more gruesome/scary etc, toned down a little for a 15, and toned down considerably for a 12A. Games are advertised on TV anyway, and kids are subjected to seeing alcohol everywhere, even if it is adverts and offers in the supermarket, or supermarket adverts on TV.

Just remembered the last time I went to a cinema... It was about 7 and a half years ago, and I was going on a date (my daughter was about 7 weeks old, and I was 18 ). I had tried to get out of it by saying I couldn't get a babysitter, but he told me to bring her. So we went to the cinema, where we had to watch a 12A (The Terminal, Tom Hanks) due to her being there. She slept all the way through, bless her :)

No my son does not find me embarrassing or over protective but thankyou for your condescending query. What concerns me is that there were children as young as 4-5 yrs old in the cinema as it was rated as 12A ie A FAMILY FILM.

Do you think it appropriate to show 18 rated games to this age or are you just being provocative?:loopy:

I just think it would be extremely embarrassing for a 12 year old boy if his mother kicked off because he saw an advert for Call of Duty and Bacardi Breezer.

As the other posters have said it's not a family film. It's a 12A and the adverts shown around it will be suitable for that certification. If parents have chosen to take 4-5 year olds to see it that's up to them, they have the certification as a guide just as they do at home and they've chosen not to pay attention to it. But you can't constantly expect the cinemas to be nannying people, the parents have to take responsiblility for this, they saw the certification and they took them so it's their problem.

It's quite possible that many of the 4-5 year old parents were quite happy with what they saw and wouldn't need you interfering and complaining on their behalf.

I think a lot of people/parents don't understand the film ratings - it's not only about the sex and violence, sometimes films are just boring for children as they aren't aimed at them but can be a PG as there is nothing to stop a child watching it. Often I'll go and watch a film which contextually is quite adult and there will be a pile of kids traipsing in and out as they are completely uninterested in what they are watching. Romcoms are often guilty of this. Of course, that's completely appropriate to advertise alcohol as they are aimed at primarily, women. If they were doing it in Toy Story, I'd understand the concern.

Cowboys and Aliens isn't a children's film so the fact of the adverts shown is appropriate IMO. I've not seen the film (it doesn't appeal to me ) but IMDB says this about it

Sex & Nudity

In two scenes women are referred to as "whores"

A few sexual jokes, but nothing too graphic.

A female's back end is shown very briefly.

Violence & Gore

Wild West violence throughout.

There are a few violent scenes involving lasers and guns.

Profanity

A few instances of mild profanity.

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking

several different scenes take place at a local tavern where everyone is drinking, smoking, gambling etc.

one man drinks a liquid that makes him hallucinate, probably an absinthe

type drink.

Frightening/Intense Scenes

In two scenes a small child almost dies.

A child stabs an alien about to eat him.

Menacing aliens.

The look of some of the aliens may frighten younger children.

I think I'd be more worried about my child seeing an alien about to eat a child rather than someone having a drink.

No; you're thinking of the old 'U' classification (universal release).

I wasn't, I had actually forgotten that kids could go alone with parental permission to watch a PG film, I thought the parents had to be with them :)

I know my mum used to have to take me to the cinema when I was about 10, and tell them I could see the film, then leave me with my friends in the cinema for a couple of hours. I got mixed up.

took my 12 yr old to see Cowboys & Aliens (which is rated as a 12A) to Vue cinema in Meadowhall & was appalled at their choice of adverts during what was supposed to be a family viewing. The adverts were all adult rated, for example 3 alcoholic products & some very violent computer games which looked like they should be rated 18. All of the film previews were for adult films for example Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy & Immortals which looks quite gruesome. I thought there were rules about what advertising is appropriate to show with age rated films. I have e-mailed vue cinema & their response is that they are directed by the film's distributors as to what adverts are shown which is a pretty lame excuse. Other cinema chains seem to have a more resposible attitude & so will stick to visting the other cinemas from now on:rant:

Is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy an adult film? I've read the book and watched the BBC adaption countless times, and I fail to see how it could be an adult film.

Archived