Inappropriate advertising at family film viewing

I was in John Lewis a few years ago in the TV dept with my 2 yr old in a buggy.I was looking at a particular model when the film that was running on all the TVs (Lord of the rings) got to the bit where an Ork took an arrow to the eye and screamed with all this goo coming out of it. Seeing it on one TV would have been bad enough but seeing on about 30 tvs at once, some of them 50 inch, was a bit much and my daughter let out a yelp and started to cry.

I asked the assistant if she thought that it was appropriate to be showing it where kids could be walking around and would she mind changing it.

Off she goes and comes back to tell me that the manager said it was a 12 so it was OK to leave on as anybody under 12 could watch it.

You can't argue with that sort of logic. Needless to say they didn't get my business.

Which demonstrates once again why the BBFC should have gone with their original plan of adding a lower age limit of 8 to the 12A certificate, and not allowed parents the flexibility to assess the film's content in relation to their own children's emotional maturity.

The BBFC has provided parents with the means to do so: the pBBFC website. Even a quick browse through newspaper reviews would give some insight into the film's content.

It seems some people are incapable of using the available resources - and common sense - to come to a sensible, responsible, informed decision.

As for the ads: their content will be rated as suitable for a 12A audience, irrespective of whether the product being advertised is aimed at an adult market. That 18 certificate games are available and promoted to a general audience isn't an invitation for parents to allow their children access to those games. There's that parental responsibility thing again...

So where would one ascertain which trailers / adverts are going to be shown alongside a film?

So where would one ascertain which trailers / adverts are going to be shown alongside a film?

The cinema manager would be able to provide that information.

In the space if about ten minutes on different TV channels this morning there were ads for products for feminine incontinence, feminine diarrhea, feminine constipation, menstruation, weight loss, depression and lack of sexual satisfaction

We have an add for that over here, one of the funniest if not obvious reason why the missus is turned off. Can't source the add but someone may.

took my 12 yr old to see Cowboys & Aliens (which is rated as a 12A) to Vue cinema in Meadowhall & was appalled at their choice of adverts during what was supposed to be a family viewing. The adverts were all adult rated, for example 3 alcoholic products & some very violent computer games which looked like they should be rated 18. All of the film previews were for adult films for example Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy & Immortals which looks quite gruesome. I thought there were rules about what advertising is appropriate to show with age rated films. I have e-mailed vue cinema & their response is that they are directed by the film's distributors as to what adverts are shown which is a pretty lame excuse. Other cinema chains seem to have a more resposible attitude & so will stick to visting the other cinemas from now on:rant:

Perhaps you should remove Muesli from your diet?

I went to see this last night with Mr G and didnt think the adverts were anything to worry about with regards to children seeing them. One was for Jim Beam Bourbon and ther were a couple for shoot 'em up games, nothing extreme. the film , however , was a different matter. It is very violent. I thought to myself that it wasn't suitable for young children. It was noticeable that the violence was physical, graphic beatings and spattered blood but I did notice that if guns were used then the shots only wounded . The scene where the alien tries to get at the young boy was very scary I thought, very Alien. I would certainly think twice about taking a child under 10 or 11 to see it. But then i would think twice about seeing it anyway cos I kept falling asleep ! Mr G loved it , but I thought it was very run of the mill cowboy film .

We have an add for that over here, one of the funniest if not obvious reason why the missus is turned off. Can't source the add but someone may.

My twelve year old niece was watching TV at our house when an ad for vibrators came up.

My wife hissed "quick the remote control before she starts asking questions"

No my son does not find me embarrassing or over protective but thankyou for your condescending query. What concerns me is that there were children as young as 4-5 yrs old in the cinema as it was rated as 12A ie A FAMILY FILM.

Do you think it appropriate to show 18 rated games to this age or are you just being provocative?:loopy:

12A is not a family film, have a read at what it actually means, come back and admit that you're wrong and you should pay more attention to what films you are taking your child to watch.

Apparently if the parents are there the kids can be any age - which seems a bit mad

No, it means that parents actually have to think for themselves, make a judgement about if the content is suitable and take a bit of responsibility without needing to have their hands held by the state.

Archived