Can you drive without Road Tax if you're taking your car to be MOT tested?

No it's not.

The link the OP referenced makes it perfectly clear that you can

"Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This is also for vehicles being driven to and from a pre-arranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

"

All you need is adequate insurance cover anda prebooked MOT.

well that's what i thought! but apparently that's very recently no longer applicable, he's heard of many 'jobsworth' policeman now exploiting this situation to gain revenue and make their stats look better.

I just don't understand why there is nothing mentioned on the website?

well that's what i thought! but apparently that's very recently no longer applicable, he's heard of many 'jobsworth' policeman now exploiting this situation to gain revenue and make their stats look better.

I just don't understand why there is nothing mentioned on the website?

As opposed to a wideboy MOT tester with a lowloader looking to make some revenue? :)

Cui bono....

As opposed to a wideboy MOT tester with a lowloader looking to make some revenue? :)

Cui bono....

He doesn't stand to make any money himself as he is a mobile mechanic whom lives and works in York, nor has any affiliation with any company mechanics here in Sheff, just warned me of what has been happening recently.

He doesn't stand to make any money himself as he is a mobile mechanic whom lives and works in York, nor has any affiliation with any company mechanics here in Sheff, just warned me of what has been happening recently.

Well my MOT centre in York certainly never mentioned it when mine went there a fortnight ago and with the number of cars they have through you would expect them to know.

I'd say that the official Govt website and statue law with the exceptions in is pretty good evidence it'll be OK as well.

Heheh, is he a mobile MOT tester too? :hihi:

The government website clearly states that you are free to take an untaxed vehicle to the MOT center as long it is pre-arranged and insured.

I was faced with this dilemma only this year and the garage who did the MOT when I made the appointment confirmed it is OK.

Archived