Can you drive without Road Tax if you're taking your car to be MOT tested?

Not at all. If an MOT station handed over the keys of a car with 3 bald tyres and allowed it to be driven away they would be committing an offence. Withholding they keys would not. Pretty much like taking the keys off a drunken driver compared to handing them to him.

I'm still waiting to find out what this offence is. As I noted above there are vrey few situations where you are required to report an offence.

Not at all. If an MOT station handed over the keys of a car with 3 bald tyres and allowed it to be driven away they would be committing an offence. Withholding they keys would not. Pretty much like taking the keys off a drunken driver compared to handing them to him.

Which offence is this...?

I'm wondering if the situation may have changed now that any car that is not taxed must be SORNed and as such should not be on the road, also regarding insurance most insurances are invalid if the car is not road legal i.e. taxed and tested, seems to be a few catch 22s involved here.

Well I asked my insurance company this and he said we are insurers not responsible for the tax, I said I know that what I want to know is am I insured if it is not taxed and he said yes. Mind you don't think he knew what I was on about. :hihi:

Truman has it right above.

I once took a car to a garage for MOT and they couldn't fit it onto their test ramp becasue it was a very oow sports car, so I re-booked elsewhere and headed off but was delayed in traffic, so (having rung the second garage to confirm it was too late for them to perform the test) headed home.

On the way home I was pulled, and the Policeman gave me a ticket which was later overturned because I could demonstrate good reason for being on the road without an MOT or tax. The convoluted journey from one MOT station to another, via my house overnight, was quite satisfactory to DVLA.

(And remember it is DVLA, not the Police, who decide these things - the Police can only report you to DVLA who then decide whether or not to prosecute).

Well the DVLA told me yesterday it is up to the police whether to give you a ticket or not, also as they can seize a vehicle for not being taxed is it worth the risk?

Do people not read threads first...?

The police cannot seize your car for being untaxed on the road if you have excuse for it - and driving to or from and MOT or place of repair is one of these reasons.....

Ergo - it won't be seized as people have indicated ad nauseum.

. . . So if an MOT station allows an unroadworthy vehicle to be driven away they are aiding and abetting a crime. .
No they are not, because they do not have the power to withhold or confiscate a vehicle. They can advise the driver that it is not roadworthy, and they are obliged to report a dangerous vehicle, but they cannot prevent the driver from leaving with his property.

Well the DVLA told me yesterday it is up to the police whether to give you a ticket or not, also as they can seize a vehicle for not being taxed is it worth the risk?
I never said it was worth the risk, and in the case I highlighted I wasn't breaking the rules.

(And yes, the Police issue the tickets, but those tickets serve to report you to DVLA who make the decision on prosecution. As I said.)

As has been asked above, exactly what offence would this be? Or are you inventing one?

They are obliged to inform and advise the driver, and they are also obliged to report a vehicle driven illegally (just as is any member of the public who is aware of a crime being committed). They do not have powers to seize a vehicle.

Archived