Can you drive without Road Tax if you're taking your car to be MOT tested?

I agree with John, and I belive to be true.......If you make an appointment with a garage, and you go straight there and back, as long as it is insured.

But if you are still unsure, phone up the D.V.L.A and ask them

And then phone your insurance company and check if your are covered without a valid MOT

You dont need any existing MOT or road TAX only Insurance

As stated Mot must be booked you must use it on the rd within the time it would take to get there then return directly to location vehicle is going to be kept.Even if it fails Mot unless it is a serious issue, Mot test centre can fefuse to release the vehicle or demand it to be collected by pickup wagon.There is no stop off points on return for getting it Taxed etc as some stated.

Without an MOT you couldn't get tax.....there'd be no point stopping off for that
If it past the Mot return no stop off points like going for tax but if it failed journey straight back no shopping calling to mates for a cupa lol.We did not do Mot but did do preperation work for customers then we would take it to be tested for them.Had a couple of calls to make sure it was actualy booked in for work over years but they do tend to take your word for it i guess..

You dont need any existing MOT or road TAX only Insurance

As stated Mot must be booked you must use it on the rd within the time it would take to get there then return directly to location vehicle is going to be kept.Even if it fails Mot unless it is a serious issue, Mot test centre can fefuse to release the vehicle or demand it to be collected by pickup wagon.There is no stop off points on return for getting it Taxed etc as some stated.

A few years ago I bought an old VW Beetle as a restoration project. I thought the easiest way of getting it home was to book it into a garage en-route for MOT, so that I could drive it home after it failed.

It all went to plan until I was told the car had failed. The mechanic told me the car was not fit to drive and refused to let me take it away. He said to do so could make him liable should I have an accident. When I protested he said "Why not ring the police?"

Touché

Jeez after all that's been said.

IT'S NOT ILLEGAL! Read the website - it says in big letters it is permissible to drive a car without TAX without an MOT to a prebooked test! If the car fails an MOT you are permitted to take it via road to a place of repair be that your house or a garage.

If you think otherwise please cite an appropriate authoritative source instead of just spouting FUD and making life difficult for people.

Albeit that you are 100% correct, you would have better success mating an elephant with a whale, than getting some folk on this forum to understand common sense. ;)

A few years ago I bought an old VW Beetle as a restoration project. I thought the easiest way of getting it home was to book it into a garage en-route for MOT, so that I could drive it home after it failed.

It all went to plan until I was told the car had failed. The mechanic told me the car was not fit to drive and refused to let me take it away. He said to do so could make him liable should I have an accident. When I protested he said "Why not ring the police?"

Touché

Yes he was in his rights to do so if it was unfit to drive but should have given you the option to have it taken by pickup and given you fail sheet and other documents stating unfit for road use.Had to do that many times especaily with Reliants.

Archived