Can you drive without Road Tax if you're taking your car to be MOT tested?

This is correct apart from an MOT will find both those items. But let's not quibble. It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway unless it is going to an MOT Station. And even then if the unroadworthiness extends beyond simply not having an up to date MOT and tax disk the driver could face prosecution.

If the tester cannot see the cracked portion of the spring, or the corrosion about it because it's shrouded then he wont see it. They are not allowed to remove parts for testing. Ford Focuses often havea cracked spring at the top which is never found on an MOT as you have to remove the strut to find it.

Now. You contradict yourself. If a vehicle is unroadworthy you cannot legally drive it *to* an MOT...

You might not need tax and MOT but if it's unroadworthy then it's a seperate offence. Even if it has a current MOT

Sorry you don't win a coconut this time. Failed MOT and a vehicle is unroadworthy. ie. It is not worthy for the road. That is not the same as a vehicle being dangerous. Unroadworthy means that it is not in compliance with the requirements of the RTA, and as one of the requirements for a vehicle older than 3 years is that they have a current MOT that vehicle is unroadworthy until it has..

That's not the meaning of unroadworthy - go read the Acts.

Consider what an MOT means. If something fails a test then it's because it is likely to become a problem in the next 12 months. IT doesnt mean it's unroadworthy at that point in time - it means that the deterioration of the component is such that it is *likely* will *become* dangerous in less than 12 months.... As such you could fail an MOT on say a corroded brake pipe, yet at that point you would still be within the RTA and the relevant statutory instruments for brakeing efficieny and safety.

Now. You contradict yourself. If a vehicle is unroadworthy you cannot legally drive it *to* an MOT...

I see that not only are you completely ignorant of the law, but you are also unable to read.

What I said was "It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway unless it is going to an MOT Station. And even then if the unroadworthiness extends beyond simply not having an up to date MOT and tax disk the driver could face prosecution".

So as you are unable to compehend such complex use of English I will break it down for you. If your vehicle has faults that would cause it to fail an MOT, it would be breaking the law to drive it to an MOT station.

However to allow people to renew expired MOTs the law allows otherwise roadworthy vehicles to be driven to a test centre provided they are pre-booked. I hope that isn't to complicated for you.

I see that not only are you completely ignorant of the law, but you are also unable to read.

What I said was "It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway unless it is going to an MOT Station. And even then if the unroadworthiness extends beyond simply not having an up to date MOT and tax disk the driver could face prosecution".

So as you are unable to compehend such complex use of English I will break it down for you. If your vehicle has faults that would cause it to fail an MOT, it would be breaking the law to drive it to an MOT station.

However to allow people to renew expired MOTs the law allows otherwise roadworthy vehicles to be driven to a test centre provided they are pre-booked. I hope that isn't to complicated for you.

Fine, but your are wrong - it's not as simple as just 'to an MOT station'.

Didn't you post the following yourself?:

2.It is an offence to use on a public road a vehicle

of testable age that does not have a current test

certificate, except when

-taking it to a testing station for test

BOOKED IN ADVANCE

-bringing it away from a testing station after it

has failed the test

-taking it to or bringing it away from a place

where by PREVIOUS ARRANGEMENT

repairs are to be or have been made to remedy the defects for which the vehicle was failed.

Fine, but your are wrong - it's not as simple as just 'to an MOT station'.

Didn't you post the following yourself?:

2.It is an offence to use on a public road a vehicle

of testable age that does not have a current test

certificate, except when

-taking it to a testing station for test

BOOKED IN ADVANCE

-bringing it away from a testing station after it

has failed the test

-taking it to or bringing it away from a place

where by PREVIOUS ARRANGEMENT

repairs are to be or have been made to remedy the defects for which the vehicle was failed.

I scanned that from the back of a fail certificate, and it is quite correct in as far as it goes. But of course it needs qualifying. If you attempt to drive a failed vehicle away from an MOT station you are not exempt from the other requirements of the RTA. Therefore if your car failed its test because of a faulty wiper blade a bit of leeway would be given. However it wouldn't protect you from prosecution if you were driving home with bald tyres.

To put the situation simply. If you drive a failed vehicle home from an MOT station you cannot be prosecuted for no MOT or tax, but you can be prosecuted for the faults that caused the car to fail.

Ok, now you are just trolling. You are holding two seperate contadictory viewpoints and I refuse to accept anyone can be that dim.

You say "It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway unless it is going to an MOT Station. "

Then you say that doing so would actually be illegal to do so. You are *still* hung up on the conviction that MOT fail == unroadworthy.

It doesn't. You can drive a vehicle with a known fail point to an MOT garage if you wish - as long as it's roadworthy.

Now since you deliberately refuse to understand this point, and since you are being deliberately argumentative I'll leave it at that. After all the only person who will get fleeced off for a low loader or tow truck they don't need will be you.

Ok, now you are just trolling. You are holding two seperate contadictory viewpoints and I refuse to accept anyone can be that dim.

You say "It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway unless it is going to an MOT Station. "

Then you say that doing so would actually be illegal to do so. You are *still* hung up on the conviction that MOT fail == unroadworthy.

It doesn't. You can drive a vehicle with a known fail point to an MOT garage if you wish - as long as it's roadworthy.

Now since you deliberately refuse to understand this point, and since you are being deliberately argumentative I'll leave it at that. After all the only person who will get fleeced off for a low loader or tow truck they don't need will be you.

I think the problem is that you are terminally thick, although that doesn't seem to stop you giving advice on subjects that you simply don't understand.

The regulations are very simple and not that difficult to comprehend, and at no point have I contradicted myself.

The RTA applies at all times that a vehicle is used on the public roads. The RTA requires all vehicles to be in a roadworthy condition and to have a current MOT and tax disk. The only exception to this is the waving of the MOT and tax disk requirement for the purpose of taking the vehicle for a pre booked test. It does not wave the need for the vehicle to be otherwise completely roadworthy.

Trolling again..

You said "It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway unless it is going to an MOT Station."

You then said "It does not wave the need for the vehicle to be otherwise completely roadworthy. "

Two viewpoints you appear top hold, which are diametrically opposite.

Get back under your bridge.

Trolling again..

You said "It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway unless it is going to an MOT Station."

You then said "It does not wave the need for the vehicle to be otherwise completely roadworthy. "

Two viewpoints you appear top hold, which are diametrically opposite.

Get back under your bridge.

Not at all because I qualified the first statement by adding that the vehicle needed to be completely roadworthy apart from the MOT certificate. So it is you that simply needs to go back to school, if you ever left it.

It is very simple.

2 people take cars for MOT and one fails because of a side lamp not working the other because of 3 bald tyres.

Both are issued with a fail certificate and both are stopped by police on the way home for failure to display. What do you think will happen to the 2 drivers? I assume you can think.

No they are not, because they do not have the power to withhold or confiscate a vehicle. They can advise the driver that it is not roadworthy, and they are obliged to report a dangerous vehicle, but they cannot prevent the driver from leaving with his property.

Which is what I said in my post (33). A MOT test centre cannot hold back the keys of a vehicle if it is unroadworthy they can only advise the driver of this and it is then up to the driver as to whether or not he drives the vehicle away from the test centre. If that driver then has an accident then he is liable. The test centre will in all probability be asked to attend court for the prosecution as they will have on record that they told the driver that the vehicle was unroadworthy but that he chose to drive the car away against their advise. The MOT test centre would not be guilty of any misdemeanour.

. . . . . . To put the situation simply. If you drive a failed vehicle home from an MOT station you cannot be prosecuted for no MOT or tax, but you can be prosecuted for the faults that caused the car to fail.
Which is what I stated quite a few posts ago.

Your stance seems to have changed from earlier stating "It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway unless it is going to an MOT Station",

Archived