What will happen to all these student loans which will never be paid back?

After 30 years, the debts from the student loans will be written off.

This in my mind almost makes education free again, which to be fair it should be.

Students pay back their debts only after earning £21,000, however with the current state of the jobs market predicted to get worse, I can see many students will never pay back their student debt.

So can we expect the goernment of 30 years into the future simply to write off all these debts, or can you see legislation being put into place where they will forcably take back the debt? this could be in the form of taking £50,000 (or whatever is left to pay) out of the value from people's homes, thereby forcing todays 20 somthings to take out additional mortages or loans, which in turn forces them to work into their 70s to pay back the debt?

So can we expect the goernment of 30 years into the future simply to write off all these debts, or can you see legislation being put into place where they will forcably take back the debt? this could be in the form of taking £50,000 (or whatever is left to pay) out of the value from people's homes..

So how are people going to afford to buy homes if they don't earn enough to pay back their student grants? It's impossible to predict what any government might do in 30 years but I'd imagine they'd have to write it all off.

What happens if a student gets a loan, uses it to pay for their degree then uses said degree to find work abroad. Can the loan follow them?

In theory the loans company can pursue a loan anywhere in the world. In practice they'd have to find people and then get them, or their employer through attachment of earnings, to cough up the repayments. I just can't see this happening.

In theory the loans company can pursue a loan anywhere in the world. In practice they'd have to find people and then get them, or their employer through attachment of earnings, to cough up the repayments. I just can't see this happening.

no they cant :loopy:

there was an interesting program on one of the business channels , the problem in the USA is quite horrrendous . the student loan debt is over a TRILLION dollars with individuals owing over $200k . bankrupcy is not an option as the debt cannot be written off and the debt collectors quite aggressive ,persuing the students family members as well .quite a few have just woken up to the fact that they are stuck with this for life and will never get out of the debt trap

Archived