V.O.S.A - a total disgrace of an organisation !

I will answer your post in the order you have written it:

Yes they can fail every day, one of the responsibilities of owning a vehicle is checking that it is fit for purposes all of the time

No I haven't been harrassed by VOSA if they chose to stop me then if they come up with something I will be in the wrong.

No I don't rely on a legitimately MOT'd van etc. although I spent many years with a company car where the rules were quite simple, it was my responsibility to check it was roadworthy. If I was ever stopped and found that it wasn't then I would be removed from the company (sacked) and responsible for any court action.

No I wouldn't like to be stopped to have some numpty nit-pick although I wouldn't mind if he was doing the job he was paid to do.

Are any faults minor or petty when it comes to the safety of OTHER road users. Personally I don't give a **it about you or any other road users if they take themselves out by have some "petty faults" but I would care if you wiped out someone I loved or was friendly with.

Which brings me onto the last point, as I don't give a **it about other users why would I bother taking their registration etc. You see I do have a life so I suspect that you might not.

As an additional point I would say that at a recent school prom the VOSA lads were there and took the majority of the stretched limos off the road.

How would you feel if your kids who you have worked and saved for were in one of those cars.

jesus spare me i don't believe this ha - are you insinuating that vosa bullies are (cough) some sort of life savers ? my my my there's some ultra fine model motorists on here he he he - ps more fool you - that must have been one crap job you had regardless of the money or car you had :hihi:

If they take a van off the road which has a broken spring and missing lights then, yes, potentially they might save someones life.

Why don't you feel obliged to keep your van in a road worthy state?

because i'm reckless and like to put mine but more importantly other peoples lives at risk so there you have it ok? Happy now? Like that answer?

I think these agencies can be very heavy handed towards people who make a living transporting goods around.

Are we saying that vans/lorrys are not as well built as they were 15 years ago? if they are forever needing to be re-mot'd. Alternatively, the state of the roads could be the cause of the damage to vans and if that is the case, surely the powers that be have a duty to make the roads better/smoother?

Its a vicious circle, poor road surface = more damage to vehicles.

The only other alternative would be to force all vans and lorrys off the road once they reach 3 years old, but then that would force many businesses to the wall.

Small businesses such as vans are being hammered with extra insurance, tax etc... the odd spring here and there at £200 could tip a small business over the edge. Still, our goods would then be transported around by our European Partners instead, and we all know their vehicles are safer and better maintained than their British competitors.....(that was a sarcastic comment).

Sometimes it seems the only growth industry in this country are jobs where you make it very difficult for small businesses to operate.

I personally would love to see an equally heavy handed approach to drug dealers, people who make their neighbours lives a misery through ASB - if we could hound these people like we do the law abiding, we would have a far better society

I think these agencies can be very heavy handed towards people who make a living transporting goods around.

Are we saying that vans/lorrys are not as well built as they were 15 years ago? if they are forever needing to be re-mot'd. Alternatively, the state of the roads could be the cause of the damage to vans and if that is the case, surely the powers that be have a duty to make the roads better/smoother?

Its a vicious circle, poor road surface = more damage to vehicles.

The only other alternative would be to force all vans and lorrys off the road once they reach 3 years old, but then that would force many businesses to the wall.

Small businesses such as vans are being hammered with extra insurance, tax etc... the odd spring here and there at £200 could tip a small business over the edge. Still, our goods would then be transported around by our European Partners instead, and we all know their vehicles are safer and better maintained than their British competitors.....(that was a sarcastic comment).

Sometimes it seems the only growth industry in this country are jobs where you make it very difficult for small businesses to operate.

I personally would love to see an equally heavy handed approach to drug dealers, people who make their neighbours lives a misery through ASB - if we could hound these people like we do the law abiding, we would have a far better society

You're really not saying that goods vehicles with a potentially dangerous fault should be left to go about their business unhindered are you? Once VOSA have found the fault they have to act..what would happen if the vehicle was involved in a fatal accident due to the fault that had been seen but not acted upon?

You're really not saying that goods vehicles with a potentially dangerous fault should be left to go about their business unhindered are you? Once VOSA have found the fault they have to act..what would happen if the vehicle was involved in a fatal accident due to the fault that had been seen but not acted upon?

Crikey, what if it rains tomorrow, what if a bird poops on your head?

0114owl1867 - how many accidents have you been involved in during your time as a van driver?

If he/she comes back and says he/she has had loads of accidents, yes force him of the road.

As I said before, if you get rid of the British Lorrys or Vans then the Europeans will be transporting our goods around - their vehicles are not known to be the best maintained

I'm speaking from the guy from VOSA's point of view..if he found a fault and did nothing about it what would be the outcome of a serious incident related to the problem...do you just ignore issues with you own vehicle too and hope nothing happens..? If they find a fault surely they have to act on it..?

0114owl1867 - how many accidents have you been involved in during your time as a van driver?

If he/she comes back and says he/she has had loads of accidents, yes force him of the road.

As I said before, if you get rid of the British Lorrys or Vans then the Europeans will be transporting our goods around - their vehicles are not known to be the best maintained

Europeans in vehicles that also have to maintained and be roadworthy.

Are you seriously suggesting that dangerous vehicles be left on the road?

Archived