V.O.S.A - a total disgrace of an organisation !

Crikey, what if it rains tomorrow, what if a bird poops on your head?

0114owl1867 - how many accidents have you been involved in during your time as a van driver?

If he/she comes back and says he/she has had loads of accidents, yes force him of the road.

As I said before, if you get rid of the British Lorrys or Vans then the Europeans will be transporting our goods around - their vehicles are not known to be the best maintained

thanks shef - i've had 4 sp 30's in 22 years of driving - never had one accident or dodged an m.o.t

thanks shef - i've had 4 sp 30's in 22 years of driving - never had one accident or dodged an m.o.t

So there we have it from the horses mouth, not much of a threat really to the general public, a speeding ticket.

Now lets have our roads repaired, sort out the pot holes so that vans or other vehicles don't get damaged springs or whatever.... and thus cause an accident when they drive over a pot holed road - which should be maintained properly in the first place.

Driving around with a broken spring, speeding in 30 zones. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to be honest.

Have to agree, I'm not sure why past speeding convinctions would in anyway be relevant. This is about the vehicle breaking as it's being driven.

In reality the M.O.T itself should be much more rigorous.

Which will be soon taking effect. The new criteria on the present 12 month test will vigorously look at vehicle electrics.

There is also proposals for the 12 month test to be extended to 24 months which will please many who drive unroadworthy vehicles.

While I faithfully check my vehicles out at least once a week with a 'pre flight' every time I start it, I have on several times over the years been surprised and stranded by a breakdown. An alternator that stopped alternating, an ignition module that stopped igniting within two months of new, nails in tires, windshield destroyed by debris, even a headlight shot out. But a wheel bearing failure at high speed was entirely my own fault, because I thought I could make it home

Van M.O.T'd in November, stopped in Feb by vosa - ordered a the van needed a new M.O.T, stopped in May by vosa - ordered the van needed a new M.O.T, stopped yesterday by vosa, found a very minor fault that needs correcting inside four days, then maybe just maybe the van won't need a new M.O.T, surely this is verging on intimidation and corruption by our already disgraceful government Transport Minister, add on to this the vast numbers of police who are there to protect em must cost a fortune. I wish they'd realise they are potentially putting people out of business ? and whats the point in having an M.O.T if they can overrule it at will ? which they do gleefully.

So to all van drivers, try and stay off, Penistone rd, Hillsbro, Barbot Hall Industrial Estate, Rotherham, the link rd between Tankersley and the M1, and Stocksbridge By-Pass, oh and nearly forgot - the dual carriageway from Swinton to Mexbro, Rotherham - these seem to be where good honest hardworking motorists get harrassed the most, and lastly this is in no way aimed at the police who reluctantly agreed they'd rather not be there as it was a waste of their time and did not agree with it !

Absolutely right! It really winds me up. Most people working in transport haven't been able to put their prices up anything like the amount costs have increased in the past few years. But just in case that isn't bad enough, they are using the taxes of people - who are in many cases already struggling - to help pay an ever increasing army of creepy little mackintosh men to dream up ever new regulations and enforce them.

To those who have expressed such keen support for increasingly draconian transport 'safety' regulations, I would say this, it's funny that nobody is ever so keen in absorbing even a small part of the expenses incurred by VOSA, by paying a bit more for their transport costs. If you want more road safety, you should be prepared to fork up for it, considering almost everything you own, eat or live in has been transported by road.

We are paying for it, we pay the taxes that pay the men to inspect the vans...

That's paying towards the cost of the inspection, not the extra expenses incurred by increasingly stringient and more strictly enforced regulations. Do you know that any vehicle pullling a trailer for commercial purposes - even a car pulling an empty boat trailer - now has to have a tacograph fitted? What is that about?

If the real issue was road safety, they would be targeting their recources at the groups statistically more likely to cause accidents. eg. Boy racers. However, this is clearly not the approach they are taking. Commercial vehicles are not the cause of a disproportionately high number of accidents, so why are they being singled out for special treatment? Could it be to create jobes for the numpties in VOSA, raise indirect taxes, and drum up custom at the behest of the motor manufacturing lobby?

Archived