Can I take a lot of tobacco on a flight?

I'm flying to Dublin tommorow to see my partner who is working in Dublin for 3months. He's asked me to take out alot of hand rolling tobacco for him as it's very expensive out there. I'm abit unsure if I can carry so much with me in my luggage, I'm going with ryanair. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for your advice, just managed to speak to someone at Manchester airport who said it's okay as long as it's not bought at the airport shop :)

Did you give them your name?if so, i bet there will be about 10 customs officers waiting for you with surgical gloves on :D

Thanks for your advice, just managed to speak to someone at Manchester airport who said it's okay as long as it's not bought at the airport shop :)

Just be aware that it has to be personal use or a gift. If you're taking 3 months worth and you're only out there for a week make sure that you state it is a (free) gift for your partner - if there is any payment from him than it's no longer a gift and they can seize it.

UK Revenue and Customs tell lies, they state that 3200 cigarettes for personal consumption is the recommended amount to bring back into the UK. This has no basis in law, anything good applicable to the EU is nothing to do with us, however anything bad is stuffed right up us. We didn't join the single currency, but our pensions and investments are in free fall because of it.

You can bring back as much as you wish, as long as it doesn't exceed your baggage weight allowance. Don't listen to the failing tax collectors, but remember to bring back a receipt for your purchases.

Archived