Can I take a lot of tobacco on a flight?

You'd need to prove it was for personal use for it to be unlimited. Otherwise it's a kilo.

'They' need to prove it's not for personal use.

I've just brought 8kg back from Spain. Wasn't even stopped.

Not a custom's officer in sight.

And yes, it is for me. Enough to keep me in rollups till my next yearly holiday.

Customs and Excise do not need to prove anything. If they decide that it's not for personal use, they take it away from you and there's nothing you can do about it. (This is unfair, and contrary to English common law, but it is nevertheless a fact.)

Whether the same is true of Irish customs, I do not know. I'd be tempted to find out officially, perhaps from the Irish Embassy (via website or a phone call).

I've just brought 8kg back from Spain. Wasn't even stopped.

Not a custom's officer in sight.

And yes, it is for me. Enough to keep me in rollups till my next yearly holiday.

The problem that "they" can sieze it if they think it's not for personal use or a gift, then the onus is on the punter to prove it was through a long drawn out appeals procedure which is mainly run by them.

By and large if it's genuinely for personal then a realisic quantity even if in excess of their 3KG suggested quantity of single brand shouldn't cause a problem but best the OP is aware of what they can do even if they are unlikely to.

UK Revenue and Customs tell lies, they state that 3200 cigarettes for personal consumption is the recommended amount to bring back into the UK. This has no basis in law, anything good applicable to the EU is nothing to do with us, however anything bad is stuffed right up us. We didn't join the single currency, but our pensions and investments are in free fall because of it.

You can bring back as much as you wish, as long as it doesn't exceed your baggage weight allowance. Don't listen to the failing tax collectors, but remember to bring back a receipt for your purchases.

I think you need to read the OP again...they want to take tobacco out,not bring it in... :)

UK Revenue and Customs tell lies, they state that 3200 cigarettes for personal consumption is the recommended amount to bring back into the UK. This has no basis in law, anything good applicable to the EU is nothing to do with us, however anything bad is stuffed right up us. We didn't join the single currency, but our pensions and investments are in free fall because of it.

You can bring back as much as you wish, as long as it doesn't exceed your baggage weight allowance. Don't listen to the failing tax collectors, but remember to bring back a receipt for your purchases.

That's ok until they take it off you, the customs are a law unto themselves.

Example 1/ in Febuary this year, one person alone goes through Hull with 300 pouches of tobacco and is stopped by the customs, he rants he is sick of being stopped by them and they let him go with his tobacco.

Example 2/ the couple behind him.... a couple who have not been abroad for 18 months come through with 200 tobacco between them, the customs confiscate the tobacco and their car, reason given is that the husband {who suffers with his mental health} didn't remember to tell them he had been stopped at gatwick airport 11 years ago. this cost them the tobacco and their car.

They do exactly what they like knowing people can't afford the expense and time to appeal.

Archived