Best and worst meals ever

I think that whether a meal is fabulous is very highly dependent on context. For instance, after a whole month of hospital food, a Balti King takeaway was manna from heaven :)

I find that a disproportionate number of the best meals (and the worst meals, come to think of it) were experienced whilst on holiday. I think the best ever was at a restaurant called The Big Black Pig (except in Dutch, seeing as it was in Holland!) and it was a 12 course selection of all sorts of wonderful things.

There have been too many bad ones to judge, but the aforementioned hospital food would make up at least 25 of the top 20.

There have been too many bad ones to judge, but the aforementioned hospital food would make up at least 25 of the top 20.

I agree. Hospital is the only place Ive ever been offered toast which was white and wet on one side and burnt black on the other.

I find that a disproportionate number of the best meals (and the worst meals, come to think of it) were experienced whilst on holiday.

I wonder if that's something to do with novelty value? Something enjoyable that you don't normally have because it's not a regular dish over here, would be extra enjoyable because of that fact; similarly, you might try something while on holiday that turns out to be thoroughly disgusting, just because you've never come across it before.

I wonder if that's something to do with novelty value? Something enjoyable that you don't normally have because it's not a regular dish over here, would be extra enjoyable because of that fact; similarly, you might try something while on holiday that turns out to be thoroughly disgusting, just because you've never come across it before.

It could be the novelty value of trying new things, but it could also be down to the judgement of whether it's a good meal or not being skewed by the overall holiday experience (along the lines of all wine tastes nicer when being drunk at sunset overlooking a beautiful view).

Taste is such a subjective thing and memory is so affected by other things that I'm sure that there are times when a serious gourmet meal would not even really be noticed, and times when a pretty normal meal would taste wonderful because of the other things that are happening at the time.

Archived