Best and worst meals ever

Best meal:- wonderful fresh Bantry Bay mussels brought fresh from the bay, cooked in wine and cream whilst on honeymoon in Bantry Bay.

Also raspberries pick from my grans garden and eaten as picked, even now the smell of fresh raspberries remindes me of my lovely gran.

The worst meal, a curry my sister made, she usually just warmed up tins and microwave food but had made a special effort followed a reciepe and served the meal, all you could taste was garlic when I asked her how much she had put in she said well it said 2 cloves but they looked a bit big to me so I only put one in - yes she thought a bulb of garlic was a clove!!

I agree with the views about context making a huge difference. The best meal I ever had was many years ago in a restaurant in Fowey, which I'm sure has long gone. I had a glorious steak, which the chef/owner showed me before he cooked it, tiny fried potatoes and a big salad. The pudding was fruit tart, sprinkled with sugar & served with cream. I actually cried because I was too full to have a second helping. The lot was washed down with a scented, fruity Bordeaux. The meal was delicious, but made even more wonderful by the fact that I'd been out sailing all day and thrown up comprehensively for 3 hours. In the end, the others covered me with a tarpaulin and left me on deck to die.

I didn't think I'd ever eat again and that meal, at the end of that dreadful day was like coming back to life.

I'm another in agreement about context.

I've had some great meals all over the world but a real stand out memory is eating sweet, Russian black bread and drinking red wine on the cross channel ferry coming back from Christmas and New Year in Leningrad when I was 17.

Worst - a couple of my Mum's early creations. I remember something that was supposed to be a Chinese I think (possibly with noodles) that tasted like soap. We all took one mouthful, looked at Mum who said "It's horrible isn't it?" and it went in the bin.

Archived