Best and worst meals ever

I need to think a bit about the best meal I've ever had, although a few memorable ones come to mind.

There have been many contenders for the worst meal but I think the worst was many years ago on a boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads. We picked up a few lasses and left them on board to prepare dinner whilst the lads had it away to the pub for an aperitif. When we got back about 2 hours later lunch was served.

A sandwich each consisting of 2 slices of white sliced loaf with a slice of cold Spam and a dollop of instant mashed potato and tomato ketchup. It would have been better had a little water been added to the instant mash as well as the sauce as it had the consistency of damp pink Polyfila. It was totally inedible and we had it away back to the pub for beer & crisps.

My mums cooking was the worst in the world she could not cook for peanuts,my Dad would say our dust bin is the only bin in the neighborhood that's jot an ulcer

she once made some custard and the spoon would not move in it at all it was like rubber,I was lucky to have married a fantastic lass who is a fab cook,my favorite is meat and spud pie with loads of Hendersons relish on it yum yum.

Apart from my wifes cooking which is top class and one of the reasons I don't like dining out the best meals were in HMForces whilst stationed in Cyprus in the mid 60s.

Contrary to popular belief service food was excellent, being a forces musician we got to visit many different messes all over the island on dance or rock band gigs, the RAF messes being superb, the first time I ever tasted caviar was in an RAF officers mess.

The worst food was in Tunisia.

Never had a good meal in 12 months at the other ranks mess RAF Muharraq Bahrein.1966.

Best - The Papaya Tree at Playa Flamenca. A delightful little Thai/Asian restaurant in a Spanich entertainment square. I can't wait to go back there sometime!

Worst - Toby Carvery at Dronfield. Disgraceful, everything was dried out like it had been there all week, yet it tasted like it had been drenched in old cooking fat. Nasty stuff.

Archived