Anybody ever frequent Bellhouse WMC

redted50

hi handy was your dads name ernest, if so, i remember him well, great organist, with jimmy whittaker on drums, sorry to here your dads not very well hope he improves, i believe he was a talented artist (painter)

Hi trickybob. Yes, my father was Ernest and I'm pleased you remember him. He was indeed a good musician, being a professional pianist from his early teens. He toured all the major theatres throughout the UK and broadcast on the BBC Light programme in the early 40's.

In the army (Argyles and Sutherland), he played in the army dance band in the evenings and played flute and piccolo in the military band. Whilst in the army, he played with many well known musicians of the day who were also doing their National Service. On being demobbed, he was offered the position of pianist with the George Elrick band but decided that touring was not compatible with his plans to marry my mom!

You are correct, he was a talented artist in oils and watercolour and had many exhibitions over the years. Sadly arthritis put paid to his music and a short time later he went blind which put paid to his art (life can be cruel), although I never once heard him complain about any of it.

He was a quiet showman and the ultimate family man. He died on Christmas Eve 2006 with his wife and boys at his bedside. It means a lot to me that he is remembered.

This might bring back a few memories

• 6 months later...
My Grandad was a regular there in the 60's through to the 80's. His name was Bernard Hodgkinson, a little bloke, cantankerous but a good family man. He played a bit of snooker and thought Peter Bardsley would be a pro one day. He took me on a couple of fishing trips and to Cleethorpes once for the club trip. He was the first bloke on Shirehall Road to have a car and him and his wife must have been one of the first to have a telly as well, my Nan used to tell the tale of watching the Coronation with a big magnifying frame and loads of neighbours in to watch it.

He moved to Grenoside in his later years and frequented the Olde Red Lion. His best mate in Bellhouse WMC was a bloke called Chris Marshall and I think Chris's missus, Lily, used to work behind the bar.

I can remember your grandad playing snooker .

Also remember snooker room very well .

Percy hayman , johnnie Hollingsworth , Fred chapman , earnie crapper , Barry west . Top club for snooker players at the time .

On league nights on we'd you had to be in for 7.00 to get a seat .

How times have changed .

Hi everyone. My mother, Elsie Rowley, used to frequent the clubs on Bellhouse Road. When my dad died in 1960 I was 16 and had two younger brothers and a sister of 5 years old. Mother then became a barmaid at the clubs for the social life, but mainly for the income to help bring us kids up. I was the only other wage earner and tipped my wages up to help.

Maybe it's too long ago now, but does anyone remember her?

Regards, Peter.

Sign of the times I'm afraid. I went in occasionally as my father was the resident organist there for 30 odd years and yes, it did seem a friendly club..........He worked 6 nights a week plus Sunday lunchtime for all that time. He eventually retired through ill health.......following all these years of service, after he left, he never received a single phone call or an enquiry about how he was, so I'm not so sure about 'friendly'.

I remember your dad Ernest very well .

He always used to pop into snooker room when he was'nt playin in concert room or between turns .

He always used to watch us playing snooker matches .

Always had good word for everybody , a proper gent .

It was a few years after that I found out that my father in law used to cover for him on organ from time to time as well so they also knew each other well .

Had a lot of happy times in Bellhouse at the time .

Sorry to hear about Ernest as he was always well liked by all .

Regards

Peter Bardsley

I remember your dad Ernest very well .

He always used to pop into snooker room when he was'nt playin in concert room or between turns .

He always used to watch us playing snooker matches .

Always had good word for everybody , a proper gent .

It was a few years after that I found out that my father in law used to cover for him on organ from time to time as well so they also knew each other well .

Had a lot of happy times in Bellhouse at the time .

Sorry to hear about Ernest as he was always well liked by all .

Regards

Peter Bardsley

Thanks for this Peter, actually I'm going to print this out and take it to show mom and I'll tell you why. Don't blush :D but your name was a bit of a legend in our house. He was one of your biggest fans !

I still get enquiries after him, so I did this little website for those interested LINK

• 1 month later...
In the early 70s I was on Tyneside, playing college football in the Northern College's league and the Newcastle Sunday Leagues - not for the faint hearted.

Trevor Chetwynd's name from Sheffield rings a bell but I can't say for what. The John Peniston I knew and I both went to Charnock Hall Primary School and then transferred to Woolley Wood Primary. There were several Peniston families on Shiregreen. I didn't play football in those days, there again the lads in the college team claimed I didn't play football either - my captain's instructions were either the man goes past or the ball does but not together.

John Penistone lived on Sycamore House Road, just below the Concord Road entrance to Concord Park.

I think I only went in Bellhouse Road a couple of times, I mostly was in Hartley House and The Limes, occasionally the WMC down the Wicker on Stanley Street for meetings.

john,s brother was Andrew...their cousin was the tennis player roger taylor..

Archived