What area in Mexico is best to stay ?

I am wanting to know off anyone, that has been to mexico, what the sight seeing is like? what would be the best month to go out there??, and what are locals like and family facilities???

What parts of mexico would you say are best to stay

I am wanting to book a week in cancun mexico next year, so any information appreciated.

I have heard Cancun is nice, I want my kids to be able to experience swimming with dolphins. ect

The kids will be 10 and 4 by this December, and have travelled before. We just recently went to Salou in Spain, we stayed at best Cambrils hotel in Cambrils about 3 mile from Salou.

We walked in to Salou and back to our hotel was about 7 mile walk. 3 and half there and 3 and half bk.

So we don't mind walks and my daughter and son swim like fish their water babies so must be some where there is plenty of active things to do.

And enough cash to pay a contingent of los zetas not to kill/kidnap you.

Living as I do about 170 miles from the Mexican-US border I've seen the good and heard about the bad. There have been stories of Americans being robbed on the Mexican higways, held for ransom and Mexican cops who have halted vehicles for no reason and issued citations but tearing them up in exchange for a nice fat bribe. You never want to end up under any circumstances in a Mexican jail. Before crossing the border you need to buy additional auto insurance as American auto insurance is not valid in Mexico and if you have an accident but no Mexican insurance you'll end up in jail even if the accident was not your fault

Years ago my wife and I liked to spend a day in Tijuana once or twice a year. Back then it was bit of a rough around the edges border town but there were nice little stores where you could get genuine bargains, market places full of life and friendly people and the chance to listen or dance to a Mariachi band and a few miles further down the coast Rosarita Beach which had a really nice hotel on the beachfront

We haven't been to TJ for several years now though due to the drug wars

don't underestimate Mexico. It's a big country. One time some smart guy quizzed three of us, which was the larger country, Egypt, or Mexico. Not idiot guys any of us, we'd read books, and seen maps, not total numbskulls at all any of us. We all said Egypt was the larger country. In fact, Mexico is almost twice the size of Egypt in land area - it just looks smaller than Egypt on the standard world maps.

We have been to Mexico twice (last time, last year). We stayed in Playacar in The Riu Tequila both times.

We went as four adults but it is a great area for families such as yours with kiddies, The beach is beautiful, very long and white, plenty of room to lounge all day if you want.

We swam with Dolphins on Isla Mujaras, you get a coach to cancun and then a boat over to the island (a nice trip in itself) It was a really fab day.

You are literally 5 mins taxi ride from Playacar centre or 1/2 hour walk but be warned, we walked but it was really far too hot and we were practically dead when we got there:hihi: but nice shopping area.

There's also Excaret, another really nice place to spend a day, a bit like a glorified Zoo but great again for the kids. If they like swimming there's Xelha which is a water park but we havn't been there, looks really nice though. You can also swim with Dolphins at both these places (look them up on Google, they both have websites).

All in all, It's a fab place to visit and I would recommend it highly (except for the 10.5 hour plane journey:() Don't listen to the people who havn't been and the scaremongers:suspect:, you really will love it but with the distance, I really wouldn't advise just going for a week.

There is no comparison between Salou and Mexico, it's like another world.

If you want any more info, ask and I will try my best to help bit I would definately go for it, but go to Playacar, Cancun really isn't the place for families imho.

Archived