Leeds Festival Detritus

I was absolutely disgusted at the state that the site was left in after the Leeds Festival. Whats wrong with taking your rubbish away with you. Or at least leaving it all in a designated area. And the tents. They carried them in, so why not carry them back out again. It was great to see the charities collecting the tets that had been left behind, but why did some of those who left them vandalise them first, and why did someone think it was a good idea to urinate inside the tent before they left. Take some responsibility festival goers, and have some consideration and respect for others.

I was absolutely disgusted at the state that the site was left in after the Leeds Festival. Whats wrong with taking your rubbish away with you. Or at least leaving it all in a designated area. And the tents. They carried them in, so why not carry them back out again. It was great to see the charities collecting the tets that had been left behind, but why did some of those who left them vandalise them first, and why did someone think it was a good idea to urinate inside the tent before they left. Take some responsibility festival goers, and have some consideration and respect for others.

Unfortunately, the festival seems to attract a "certain type" and isn't the festival it once was. These types are very much in the minority, but certainly paint a bad picture for the true festival goer.

Pretty much what we said. It did seem unbelievable that they'd managed to carry their stuff there but were unwilling/too damn lazy to take it home with them. Tents, sleeping bags, gazebos, etc. aren't cheap (and neither are festival tickets) - I can't get into the mindset of people who'd spend money on these things and then walk off and leave them. And as for vandalising them......mean, petty, small minded - I can think of other words but can't use them on here.

Gear taken to the festival will be cheapest they could find that would do the job so it didn't matter if it got lost or trashed by accident/by someone else. As such they are bought as single use items and once they've been used they've served their purpose.

On the other hand folks are getting this stuff cheap from organisations that collect and sell it on. So they are happy.

The festival will have budgeted for the clean up - the festival goers will have paid for that in their tickets/beer.

As much as it goes against my own principles, if you see cheap tent + sleeping bag could be had for £50 and factor it in as a cost of going to the festival, it's a small amount compared to tickets, beer & food.

Gear taken to the festival will be cheapest they could find that would do the job so it didn't matter if it got lost or trashed by accident/by someone else. As such they are bought as single use items and once they've been used they've served their purpose.

On the other hand folks are getting this stuff cheap from organisations that collect and sell it on. So they are happy.

The festival will have budgeted for the clean up - the festival goers will have paid for that in their tickets/beer.

As much as it goes against my own principles, if you see cheap tent + sleeping bag could be had for £50 and factor it in as a cost of going to the festival, it's a small amount compared to tickets, beer & food.

It is a small amount but don't think people are complaining about them wasting money but the mess they have left behind. If they don't want to pack their tent up and take it home they don't have to vandalise it, then the charities will benefit more. They can also clear their rubbish up, even if the bins are full they can put it in a bag next to them.

I agree entirely growup, just trying to explain the thinking to folks. There is I'd imagine a good chance that the vandalised/damaged tents weren't damaged by the owner but by others - thus justifying their decision to get throw away kit.

I wouldn't be keen on taking home cheap gear I had bought with the intention of not keeping after someone else had peed on it for me!

There is always a big mess after festivals, any festival of size.

Yes, but quite a lot of the stuff wasn't the cheapest that could be bought. I still think that if I'd paid £50 for some new stuff, I wouldn't just leave it behind when I'd finished with it. People need to change this idea of "single use" items - it's such a waste of energy and resources. We just charge our way through the world, guzzling its resources and hurling rubbish in every direction as we go.

Archived