Staying in boarding houses for holidays in the 1950s and 1960s

GOLDEN OLDIE

The only memory I have is when Grandma took me and my sisters to Blackpool for the week. All I remember mainly is when we were eating breakfast one day in the dining room, one of my sisters who was 5 at the time started choking. She was eating cereal and milk even came down her nose, my grandma was horrified. Not because my poor sister was choking but that she'd showed her up in front of other guests. Do you remember folks staying in boarding houses back in the 50s seemed to dine in silence.......

Does anyone have any tales about the old style boarding houses popular for holidays at the coast in the 1950s and 1960s?

I remember staying in a boarding house on Roman Bank at Skegness I feel sure that my mother shopped for the food and the lady cooked it for us. She told us that before he opened his first Holiday Camp which was at Skegness Billy Butlin had a roundabout in the funfair and at the end of the season it was dismantled and stored and left with the lady until the start of the next season

He then went on to open his first Holiday Camp which we did stay at when our children were small. That was when the chalets were just simple little one roomers no running water in the chalet all washing and toilet facilities were in one big toilet block but we had some lovely holidays there and looked forward to next year as we were leaving. Happy days

The only memory I have is when Grandma took me and my sisters to Blackpool for the week. All I remember mainly is when we were eating breakfast one day in the dining room, one of my sisters who was 5 at the time started choking. She was eating cereal and milk even came down her nose, my grandma was horrified. Not because my poor sister was choking but that she'd showed her up in front of other guests. Do you remember folks staying in boarding houses back in the 50s seemed to dine in silence.......

In the advertisements they made them sound like a home away from home, but when you got there the landladies were usually tyrants.

If there wasn't salt on the table or you needed a spoon you wouldn't dare ask for fear of making a scene. LOL I've seen grown men letting their food go cold because the wife shushed them from asking for a fork! For some it was their first time eating in a restaurant.

Oh this thread brings back memories .

I remember as a child being taken once a year to a Blackpool boarding house for a week .

At meal times my parents would have me and my brother dressed and scrubbed ,sat on the bed waiting for the dinner gong to go ..woo betide anyone who came in late for dinner.

I remember my Dad sneaking some fish and chips into the room after a night out ..the landlady came hammering on the door threatening to throw us out and my Dad had to hand over his supper lol..thing was though we still went back every year ,good times :)

Mrs Lambert in Scarborough. Place was like a mausoleum. Grimy would be an understatement. Breakfast was so bad my dad scraped it into a carrier bag while she wasn't looking, then fed it to the gulls later on. We did a flit after a couple of days and spent the rest of the holiday in another B & B - in an attic. We thought the second place was great.

We loved our boarding house in Scarborough it was next to the Rose & Crown Pub Mrs. Green owned it she was lovely. Good old fashioned own cooking, starter soup, roast for main meal, followed by apple pie and custard all own made. I had to wash the terry towel nappies in the sink in our room and hang them on Mrs. Greens line. .......happy days

We used to stay at a boarding house near the Coliseum coach station in Blackpool. The lady running it was the spitting image of Vera Lynn and lovely with it. Food was brilliant and the digs spotless. Last time we stayed there was around 1959 or so.

Archived