Sheffield collectors wanted for 2011 Poppy Appeal

Frazer1974

THE 2011 Poppy Appeal is just around the corner, and Royal British Legion branches across the city are appealing for volunteer collectors to help make this year a success.

But every year the number of collectors falls by thousands across the country as people become too frail to help.

All eight of the city’s branches need a new generation of volunteers to come forward and spend just a few hours collecting for the appeal, something which will not just raise much-needed funds for the registered charity but will also help change the public’s perception of the Legion.

Last year’s Poppy Appeal in Sheffield raised several hundreds of thousands of pounds towards a national record figure of £36 million, which went towards the Legion’s work with veterans and their families who have served in conflicts ranging from the two World Wars through to the Falkland Islands, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Even if you can only spare an hour or so, all help is greatly received.

PM me for details please.

Sent you PM.

I have bought and worn my poppy with pride for 50 years, as soon as I was old enough to understand what it meant. It never occurred to me that, as a civilian, I could help to sell them too. I was excited by your post, and looking forward to working with you.

Then I saw your sig line. Is your view about religion a personal one, or representative of the Legion? Either way, I found it deeply offensive.

Archived