Anyone know anything about towing?

Sony

From what I've understood:

A Discovery is capable of towing 3500Kgs but the wear on the brakes, drivetrain and suspension are all drastically increased, add in the wear on the trailer and you have some significant extra costs. Plus of course the extra fuel required to drag around a lot of unnecessary extra weight.

Engine conversion is what a lot of folk seem to recommend, I'll get quicker transport (quicker than towing) less running costs and retain the quirky look for the punters.

Someone said towing a HY "would be fun to tow in wind, I'd be absolutely papping myself!"

And someone else said:

You're going to be well into needing a Tacho and O'Licence, unless you actually drive the vehicle. You may be better off getting a half decent 7.5 tonne flatbed recovery truck type thing. It'll carry the HY with little problem (provided you are aware that the centre of gravity will be fairly high), and they're not that bad on fuel. You do have ongoing preventative maintenance (6-12 weekly, depending on mileage) to deal with, which is reasonably expensive, but all told, it may be less of a compromise than trying to do it with a trailer.

The only snag is, which I've not thought about until now, is you'll need a C1 licence, so it may be a non-starter.

What to do!!!

Archived