doseydoodah

Here is a list from the 1968 directory:

23 Meadow Dairy Co. (grocers)

25 Scott's Drug Stores

27 Charles Hammond greengrocer

31 G.H. Hopkinson fish & chips

33 H.J. & W. Brett "shopkeepers"

35-37 Brightside & Carbrook Co-Op

The shops were almost unchanged in 1973, and as far back as 1942 Nos. 27, 31 and 35-37 were the same.

Here is a list from the 1968 directory:

23 Meadow Dairy Co. (grocers)

25 Scott's Drug Stores

27 Charles Hammond greengrocer

31 G.H. Hopkinson fish & chips

33 H.J. & W. Brett "shopkeepers"

35-37 Brightside & Carbrook Co-Op

The shops were almost unchanged in 1973, and as far back as 1942 Nos. 27, 31 and 35-37 were the same.

Thanks hillsbro. I would love to see photos of them. The shops now look really run down. Infact 2 are just shells. Such a shame.

That's where the majority of Shirecliffians did their food shopping in the 60's, it was a great place to live back then, I got a shock when I visited the area in 92, rusty wire on the shop windows and very run down, nothing like the lovely place I knew growing up.

...I got a shock when I visited the area in 92, rusty wire on the shop windows and very run down, nothing like the lovely place I knew growing up.
To judge from Google Earth it's still run down. I suppose it isn't unusual for small, suburban shopping centres to decline, as they can't compete with the big supermarket chains, also parking can sometimes be a problem (this was certainly a factor at Malin Bridge, for example). It must be awful for elderly people who moved there 50 or so years ago and have seen things change..:|

My Aunty lived on Longey Ave West on the left side from town and i visited her a few times in the 60s and remember it looking clean and buzzing, now theres a hoard of yobs and a strong smell of canabis there as you said the shops are all but derelict.

They even appeared on secret Milllionaire

The shops in the 50-60s were,co-op,co-op butchers,Tugbys general store and newsagents,previosly Wilkox,Fearns fish and chip shop,then a gap then it was Charlie and Mabel Hammond's fruit and greengrocers,Maxfields chemists,then Meadow dairies.These were all good clean shops.Tugbys moved to Teynham rd when mr Tugby died where his son in law Alex Quail and MrsTugby and her Daughter Dorathey ran the business for many years.they are all buried in Swinton church yard.

Archived