Fruity red wine. ?

If you think red tastes like vinegar, it may be because you have been drinking the cheaper new world stuff which is pretty rancid! Anything from america, australia, etc has a good chance of curdling your stomach... Go for spanish, italian etc and never pay less than £6 a bottle, as less than that is mostly tax, with only a small payment for the contents... Ten quid is the least I would pay, unless I was buying cooking wine...

I've tried a few red wines, mostly cheap ones i admit, but all were horribly bitter and not at all pleasurable to drink, but certain meals call for a red.

I have to admit adding vimto to the reds i've tasted* to make them palatable as they just aren't fruity enough for me, and i thought that was the whole point of reds.

Ok, have a good chortle, then a few suggestions on very fruity reds please. :hihi:

Btw, i'm more a lager man though love the odd glass of medium sweet/ dry white.

* Yes, i will carry a can of fizzy or a small bottle of dilute if i know i'll be drinking a red. :D

If I were you I would start spending some money on your wine.

More money doesn't always mean better taste, but when you're spending under £5 a bottle you are 90% sure to get something that tastes like crap!

I'm a sucker for Australian Shiraz myself. You can get some real good quality for under a tenner.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to pop down to Le Bon Vin on Brightside Lane, we'll be happy to pick you out a bottle or two (shameless self-promotion).

Alternatively, you'll definitely appreciate a nice young Beaujolais as they're invariably light and fruity and aren't packed with tannins which people often associate with red wine.

I only handle the communications for LBV, so I'm not an expert by any stretch and my wine tastes are fairly simple. To this end, I love the sparkling reds we offer and I usually take a bottle home for me and my other half each week.

You might also enjoy a Fragolino which is in effect an Italian red sparkling wine infused with strawberry juice.

Hope that helps.

dont buy cheap.

Is the only advice you need when looking for a decent red. Cheap red is always cheap for a reason. Mind you, some expensive red should be cheap too.

Try a decent Bordeaux, or a mid priced Rhone wine. Both fruity and excellent if you get the right one.

I like the reds that come from the Languedoc- Roussillon region of France, very smooth and a Cevennés rosé is really good chilled when it's hot out.

Sitting here with a nice dry Dornfelder from the Baden Wurtemburg area of Germany. 3.50 Euros the litre and that's splashing out considering continental prices. You can pick up a decent one for less than 1.50 here.

Archived