Care Workers to start a Union

There are a number of established unions which care workers can join. For example my sister is a member of Unite. Wouldn't it be better for care workers to join an established union which already has experience of their sector, rather than trying to start from scratch?

many care workers wont join one due to the cost, its a sad fact that they don't get paid a great deal

I know Unison has a sliding scale for membership fees

Like the other post said how is this Union going to be funded without membership fees? I know from experience how important it is to have a strong Union behind you when issues arise in the workplace. I wouldn't discourage Care Workers from starting their own Union but it could take years to get the money and experience needed to tackle the issues these workers face, I think I would encourage any Care Worker to join one of the big Unions whilst this was in process.

I know Unison has a sliding scale for membership fees

Like the other post said how is this Union going to be funded without membership fees? I know from experience how important it is to have a strong Union behind you when issues arise in the workplace. I wouldn't discourage Care Workers from starting their own Union but it could take years to get the money and experience needed to tackle the issues these workers face, I think I would encourage any Care Worker to join one of the big Unions whilst this was in process.

I guess there will have to be a small fee. I don't know how many care workers there are and how many would join but a lot of small fees can make up a fairly large amount.

As long as costs are controlled then fees can be kept low but the union will still have enough to do whatever it wants to do.

With careful negotiation then they can come to arrangements with a whole range of professional advisors which are mutually beneficial to all concerned.

I imagine that they should also be able to negiotiate a range of other benefits with all sorts of other retail and service providers.

Archived