Atos Health interviews for the benefit changes

spots1

i suffer from deep anxierty and panic attacks and dread this interview what with leaving my father and going out

you can always try informing you gp. He/she may write you a letter explaining that you should not attend. also ask for your interview to be taped. hope this helps.

It is very easy to criticise ATOS staff but theirs must be a difficult job. We live in an age of great medical advances, better health care and living conditions, yet the number of claimants continues to rise. At one time it was the bad back that prevailed - now it is psychological illness, despite the fact that there is very effective treatment available.

it is a fact that the longer someone is on benefits, the less likely it is that they will return to paid or voluntary employment. The government needs to help people to get back into work, even if it is in a protected environment. Research has shown that employment is actually beneficial as long as the person is supported. It is such a shame to see young people languishing on benefits instead of being helped to achieve. The Paralympics last year showed us all what can be done, despite severe limitations.

Years ago I was introduced to someone who was totally blind and in consequence easily scored the required points to stay at home. Instead, she went to her job as advocate, helping others with their problems. She and others like her are an inspiration.

It seems that people are having a difficult time with ATOS and it clearly needs to improve but there is more than one side to any argument and these people are only human - they have to listen and try to make sense of a complex system.

Edited by ccit

It is very easy to criticise ATOS staff but theirs must be a difficult job. We live in an age of great medical advances, better health care and living conditions, yet the number of claimants continues to rise. At one time it was the bad back that prevailed - now it is psychological illness, despite the fact that there is very effective treatment available.

The saddest thing is I think most people with a bad disability would love the chance to work and lead a normal life like everyone else takes for granted. A few bad apples rot the whole of the system :(

I think the pain problem is the worst, it is hard to tell how much pain someone is in and some people can cope with a lot more pain than others. The same disease can have a very different impact on someone and how people respond to treatment varies.

The number of claims may have actually also increased due to the medical advances. For example people that have survived serious accidents/ cancer treatments/ heart conditions may have have died in the past but now survive, needing long term support.

I think a lot of deaf and blind people get quite annoyed that people see the disability as an 'illness' They are not ill and not in pain, they have a disability which may need extra support and I think the question should be asked how we can support people, not stick a label on them and tell them what a wonderful inspiration they are.

However we must also understand that supporting people can be more expensive then letting people stay at home for money. I am much more for a supportive system that allows people to have the support and hours that allows then to lead a happy life and earn money as I believe everyone longs to be part of society, however I fear that this would be more expensive in the long run and private business would not tolerant it. Having known someone that now has to see an occupation nurse when offered a new job annoys me when they have an excellent attendance record and perfect refs, their condition has to be declared on the form as it is asked about but they are clearly being treated differently......

I agree with your comments but to me there is nothing wrong with being inspired by someone - it is not a case of sticking a label on them. Who can fail to be impressed by the work of Simon Weston and other people who have turned disability into ability? Credit where credit is due IMO. Pain has been my constant companion for many years and if thinking of someone else's journey gives some hope then surely there is nothing wrong in that? Please let me have my bit of hero worship in a sad and embittered world.

Sadly, post #12 is indicative of why this job should not be passed to GPs. Their responsibility is to prescribe treatment so that the patient can return to society, not provide excuses as to why they shouldn't.

Edited by ccit

I agree with your comments but to me there is nothing wrong with being inspired by someone - it is not a case of sticking a label on them. Who can fail to be impressed by the work of Simon Weston and other people who have turned disability into ability?

Maybe I am being a bit tough! I'm the same with some sports, I have a lot of respect for people for all the hard work and effort they put in to reach the top of their game but they do not inspire me as some of that ability is down to genetics. A short person will never be a top level basketball player. Maybe a better word for me would be to say that I respect people for trying, doing things well and trying to change things.

Maybe inspiration is a very personal thing? :)

Well, as long as it not the woman with the everlasting long face - name of Beckham I believe? LOL

:hihi: Not my type of inspiration. Though she has clearly done very well for herself so I might missing something! :suspect:

My inspirational people tend to be brainy but poor!

I think pip/dla should not be awarded to people who have over £100,000 in the bank, no matter what the circumstances. I was disgusted to find that David Cameron, claimed money for his son. DLA at that. Yes he was entitled, but he didn't need it, did he? Then he tells other disabled people they have to accept welfare reform. Atos should not be allowed to assess people for pip, as they have already made an hash of esa. They are paid £100 million, a year, and then another £50 million is spent correcting their decissions. There are better ways to save money than picking on the disabled.