Sheffield blitz information

kenny

I think Sheffield's blitz occured mainly on two nights. I don't have the dates now, but found them out when researching this area myself. Enter Sheffield Blitz on Google and you should find it. A relation of mine had a big street map issued afterwards, showing the location of every bomb fall. She remembers a mine suspended my its parachute at one of the steel works and another story is about some lady (who may have lived in the Brocco Bank area) going to the kitchen to put the kettle on and returning to find her living room gone.

My parents were children at the time. According to them the Blitz was from 7 PM Thursday 12 December 1940 until 4 AM Friday morning in which the city centre and some surrounding areas were bombed and then again on Sunday 15 December 1940 in which mainly the East End (around the steelworks) of Sheffield was bombed.

My mother lived on West Bar during the war years, where my grandfather owned a drinks shop. She has very vivid memories of the Blitz and of the war in general and can talk for hours about bombing raids, rationing, gas masks, having to eat bread and lard for breakfast etc etc. If you pm me, I can arrange for you to meet her and hear it all for yourself and take notes etc.

PopT

There is a book entitled 'It's A Bit Lively Outside' by Joyce Holliday which contains a map of where the bombs landed in Sheffield.

The book was published in 1987 by yorkshire art circus in castleford.

If you can get a copy you will find it's a good read illustrated with pictures of the bomb damage and the living conditions of the time.

Hope this helps you.

Happy days!

Report this Post | Link | IP

PopT

By coincidence I was reading a cutting from an old copy the 'Sheffield Star' newspaper last night and it reported the following.

Sheffield Blitz December 12th 1940

6 Parachute Mines, 450 High Explosives and thousands of Incendaries were dropped during the night.

On December 15th 1940 5 Parachute Mines, 100 High explosives and thousands of incendaries were dropped.

This reort if true makes the 'Bomb Maps' a little wanting in numbers.

I believe the one in the book 'It's A Bit Lively Outside' only numbers 88 bombs.

Happy Days! but bloody awful nights!

Archived