Sheffield blitz information

kenny

my mum has just taken part in a bbc online project on ww2 and the blitz....not sure if its been finished and is now available to view online, but you could try the bbc site.

also, go to the national archives website....there is tons of info and links on ww2 in there.

Pop T mentions that the bomb map is a little wanting, I have the same map and would like to add that it only shows high explosive bombs and land mines, it would be almost impossible to register where all the incendiary bombs dropped as these were dropped in their thousands.

Our side did exactly the same of course, for every HE bomb carried there would be a dozen or so of incendiary bombs.

It was these little blighters which caused most of the fires in Sheffield, they were impossible to put out by water, the only thing that could be done was to attempt to cover them with sand.

• 4 months later...

My older brother and I were in the heeley Picture palace on the thursday night and sat through quite a bit of the bombing and didn't know until we got into the foyer and saw people stood around crying. We stayed in the air raod shelter under the railway arches until morning. My Gran lived on Broadfield road and had an incendiary bomb come through the roof,through the bed she had just got out of to go to the toilet and into the cellar,it just fizzled out.

She was old and suffered from dementia and told us how wonderful it was to see the stars while she was lying in bed.She died shortly afterwards.

My older brother and I were in the heeley Picture palace on the thursday night and sat through quite a bit of the bombing and didn't know until we got into the foyer and saw people stood around crying. W

Which Heeley Picture Palace would that be Floridablade ??.

My husband and his mother were in the Heeley Green Cinema, the Manager went on to the stage and said that bombs had fallen in lower Heeley, some of the people left then the movie continued, the Manager came on later and said that bombs had fallen on Upper Heeley and that he would have to close down as it wasn't safe, reluctantly my husband and his mother had to go home and miss the end of the picture. A little later a bomb dropped on a house that was about 8o ft. from their house, they were in the cellar and did not get hurt. My husband was about 10 years old.

I lived at Shiregreen and we had a land mine drop about 100ft. from our house, we had to live in St. Hida's Church basement for three months until a new roof was fixed on our house, then on Sunday night another land mine dropped bur fortunately it did not explode.

Happy Days!!!!!!!!. Cheers, Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

Although the blitz only lasted two days I'm thinking there must have been many bombing raids on Sheffield .Running away fm Fullwood Cottage Homes a lot of times in the raids I remember the fire-man clearing us off fm a hill that ran fm Penistone rd to cinema at the top(Langsett)?lots of shops with all the goods scattered over the rd I'm sure I remember them aiming for the steel mills at different times, but its been 65yrs and memory fades a tad.

• 2 weeks later...

Cynthia,

It was the picture palace on chesterfield road opposite the railway station,we were taken to the air raid shelter under the railway arches. There was a burnt out tram outside the pictures with a carbonised body hanging onto the rail,it was very surreal. My brother and I went down town the next morning and picked up a pile of shilling pieces which had been in one of the banks on the Moor, A copper saw us pick them up but said nothing. The city was still burning,with firemen almost dead on their feet,some just lying in the road where they had fallen exhausted.

Out of all the emergency services only one operated that morning,the Womens Volunteer Service,they operated a small van dishing out tea and buns.

We saw a german come down by parachute,he dropped into a burning building and a big cheer went up,not one person thought of helping him I was glad to say at the time. I think that was on Pinstone St. top of the Moor area.

My father and oldest brother built a sahelter second to none,we lived in it for weeks on end,it was on Millmount Rd. and the council tried to take away the Wrought iron railings but my old man told them to bugger off,and they did.

Cynthia,

It was the picture palace on chesterfield road opposite the railway station,we were taken to the air raid shelter under the railway arches. There was a burnt out tram outside the pictures with a carbonised body hanging onto the rail,it was very surreal. My brother and I went down town the next morning and picked up a pile of shilling pieces which had been in one of the banks on the Moor, A copper saw us pick them up but said nothing. The city was still burning,with firemen almost dead on their feet,some just lying in the road where they had fallen exhausted.

Out of all the emergency services only one operated that morning,the Womens Volunteer Service,they operated a small van dishing out tea and buns.

We saw a german come down by parachute,he dropped into a burning building and a big cheer went up,not one person thought of helping him I was glad to say at the time. I think that was on Pinstone St. top of the Moor area.

My father and oldest brother built a shelter second to none,we lived in it for weeks on end,it was on Millmount Rd. and the council tried to take away the Wrought iron railings but my old man told them to bugger off,and they did.

That was the Heeley Palace, the first time I went out with my husband it was to that Cinema, the second date was to Bramall Lane to see United.

Did you say on one of your messages that you had family with the last name KAy ???. If so would be interested to know your connection.

Cynthia, Ontario.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother was born on the 14 th December 1940, my father took mom to her parents at Sth. Anston away from the bombing, and the chapel choir sang to her while he was being born in the livingroom so she wouldn,t be frightend from the overhead aircraft flying into Sheffield. My grandparents were called Arthur and Lucy Forman and they lived in the High St.Sth. Anston.

I think Sheffield's blitz occured mainly on two nights. I don't have the dates now, but found them out when researching this area myself. Enter Sheffield Blitz on Google and you should find it. A relation of mine had a big street map issued afterwards, showing the location of every bomb fall. She remembers a mine suspended my its parachute at one of the steel works and
another story is about some lady (who may have lived in the Brocco Bank area) going to the kitchen to put the kettle on and returning to find her living room gone.[/
QUOTE]

I wonder if it was St Cecilia House (top of Brocco Bank on the corner between Westbourne Road and Clarkehouse Road). The house next door took a direct hit killing all in residence and blew up the coach house at St Cecilia's throwing it into the main house killing even more folk.

Archived