Fulwood Cottage Children's home/orphanage.

thursday

Yeah she is mate one of my sisters sadly we are no longer in contact thats why I tried on my own when I posted I had been to Graham's funeral as you guess he as passed away too, so now I believe thats all my dads bro's gone now well thanks for you reply, if you can tell me more about the place And my siblings I would be very grateful cheera Mark

For the most part with maybe only ONE known exception the house mothers where a very nasy vile bunch(I have to be very carefull the Mods ' :gag:just love to suspend me for not embacing all with LOVE)this seems to have changed after the war in 46 on ,we dressed well, war time food always looking for more and shavedhead we stood out like a sore thumb would seem so many who were in long term had many(but not all) problems later on like the drink,I always ranaway a lot but dont recall Alf ever taking off, looking back i suppose depend on the person I left at 11 never heard any thing bad about the lads going on the farms at 14 now the sea training school from what I've know was another hell hole with lots of sexual abuse but again some seem to have come though O.K.

For the most part with maybe only ONE known exception the house mothers where a very nasy vile bunch(I have to be very carefull the Mods ' :gag:just love to suspend me for not embacing all with LOVE)this seems to have changed after the war in 46 on ,we dressed well, war time food always looking for more and shavedhead we stood out like a sore thumb would seem so many who were in long term had many(but not all) problems later on like the drink,I always ranaway a lot but dont recall Alf ever taking off, looking back i suppose depend on the person I left at 11 never heard any thing bad about the lads going on the farms at 14 now the sea training school from what I've know was another hell hole with lots of sexual abuse but again some seem to have come though O.K.

Yeah my dad had his moments, not to bad tho he drank quite heavily, and smoked like a chimmney, he had a few volitile outbreaks and vented his anger on the kids and my mum but we came thro, well I would like to thank you for your help and I have been intruiged reading the posts I tried to order the book mentioned but no avail I'll keep reading the posts cheers Mark

hi i would like to hear more on fchomes please my dad and his brothers were in there in the forties

Don't know what else there is to say thats not been said before if u think of anything u need to know for the war yrs ask me after the war ask Brian ,it was a thing of those times and times change at a rapid rate:):)

Hi Thursday

Don't want to plunge you into the Internet too deeply at this stage, but I bought my copy of the book for a couple of pounds on eBay, so it's worth a look. To be honest, there's only the last few pages of the book about the Fulwood Cottage Homes. If you can't get hold of a copy I don't mind copying the relevant stuff and PM'ing or emailing it to you. Let me know if that would help.

Regards

Algy

eny chance of senning me a copy of fulwood cottage homes as my mum was in there email buckrodgers1@hotmail.co.uk thanks rob

Hi all my grandfather was in fulwood cottage homes from 1910 until he was apprenticed to a cobbler in huddersfield when he left. He hardly ever spoke about his time in the home and it was only after his death that his best friend told us what he had gone through and he apparently had an horrendous time in there. He had terrible scars all over his body that looked like whip marks and he was also scalded very badly whilst in there, he suffered all his life from blackouts and fits and his friend said this was due to what he had gone through. Things did not get any better when he left for huddersfield as the man who hw went too was also very cruel to him, so much so he left and walked bare foot from huddersfield to stocksbridge where he collapsed in the street and the friend mentioned above found him and took him to their home and he stayed with them until he married my gran. I have always wanted to find the truth of why he was in the home as far as we know his mother died in 1917 and have no idea what happened to his father, I think the story of the homes should carry on as at the end of the day it is a part of our history too.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

My mother Joan knight was in there, along with her brother Albert and her sisters may and Margaret..I'm sure that place is responsible for my mother been so hard and unapproachable..she went in at 2 years around 1937/8...

---------- Post added 05-12-2017 at 21:00 ----------

I also have records of her history..records and such and there ate lots of other peoples names also on the he records.