Are police for real!

YOU would and I would. That doesn't mean jot to the CPS. Unless you have cast iron proof that a certain person damaged those doors with the intention of burgling that house, they would slap you down in 10 seconds flat and tell you it is going nowhere.

We need a like button in here. That's what I meant. I was surprised Vader didn't get this. It seemed unusual. Perhaps the force isn't strong tonight, or summat.

;)

YOU would and I would. That doesn't mean jot to the CPS. Unless you have cast iron proof that a certain person damaged those doors with the intention of burgling that house, they would slap you down in 10 seconds flat and tell you it is going nowhere.

Of course I realise that. At least the police are now aware of an attempted crime though and hopefully become more aware of crime in a certain area, time of day etc.

It may not help the OP in this instance (thankfully nothing was stolen), but reporting incidents like this and using places like the Forum may assist the police in apprehending the little scroats.

I'd certainly call sprained patio doors evidence that someone had been trying to break in ...

But not proof. It is also possible that they broke the doors for no other reason than they like breaking stuff - ie., petty vandalism.

An attempted burglary charge just will not stick, if the only evidence available is "I saw them."

In order to get a decent case for burglary/attempted burglary the police need to catch the offenders with equipment that would be deemed appropriate for burglary, or actually on the premises in the process of the committing the act. They have to be so cast iron with their evidence otherwise CPS won't even look at it. Its a sad fact but they are the ones to convince not the police.

To be charged with burglary you must have an intent to steal,if the culprits are not caught at the scene the intent is hard to prove unless of course it is admitted,if the suspects are well versed they will know its a lot better admitting to a case of criminal damage,as previously stated you .or the Police may know who did this ,proof is a different matter...its all part of the game

If the police have finger prints on the patio doors then they could possibly run with a criminal damage case.

If fingerprints are found on the OUTSIDE of anything be that a property or a vehicle, they are of little use to a prosecution case as there are a multitude of explainations as to how they got there lawfully.

"How did your fingerprints get to be on the patio door?" "Well, your honour, my son kicked his football over the hedge into the garden. I suggested we knock on the door but the kids were anxious to get the ball back so I climbed over the fence. I then went up to the patio doors and knocked on them to see if anyone was in. The door looked 'bent' in the frame so I tried the handle to see if it was actually open or not."

Fingerprints are only of any use if the suspect has sworn a statement saying that they were never near the patio doors in the first place.

The reason many people 'no comment' a police interview is so as not to commit themselves to a story which they would then have to change at a later date.

John X

Yeah, the defence could always argue that they were attempting to break in to the OP's property for her own good, I suppose.:huh:

It sounds more like the offence is being 'taken into consideration' whatever that means.

How do you know it sounds like that if you don't know what it means?

To be charged with burglary you must have an intent to steal

I'm not up to scratch with the precise legal charges that can be laid. Is attempted burglary different from "breaking and entering," or are they effectively the same thing?

It is, after all, quite possible to break into someone's house without intending to steal anything. What crime would that be - assuming that anyone could prove you had committed it?

In the OP's specific case, it seems that they have clear evidence of breaking but no proof there was any intent to enter, much less steal anything. We can all be fairly sure that that's what they intended, but "fairly sure" does not bring a conviction.

Dos anyone know what stopped these people from breaking in? Disturbed? Unable to force/gain entry?

As far as the kids are concerned I know how hard it must be for you and how scary it will be for them but maybe you could try the 'the house is safe, they couldn't get in' route, just to put their minds at ease!

As far as the Police are concerned in these times I would be grateful they have done anything (a lot of people report lack of police help on this forum) but it really is down to CPS. The police have to go with whatever is most likely to result in a prosecution, I suppose it better than them not doing anything at all.

I hope you and the kids feel safer soon x

Archived