The Government are getting rid of National Insurance cards

Too many people in the UK coming from too many places, they have to issue NI numbers to new arrivals/people gaining the right to work. It was easy enough to issue cards when there was 16 years advance notice of the people requiring them, but not now.

It must cost a fortune to issue the cards, but I've never been asked to present my card, just quote the number. It seems a good idea to scrap the cards to me, unless anyone can think of a practical use for them?

They used to get the roller and ink on it so proof could be kept for employer/employee records, but now everything is done on the computer.

Still handy for small businesses in regions not yet connected to the internet and the those unable to remember their NINo. I'd imagine.

I lost my card about 2 months after I got it (it was about 8 years ago, but if anyone has my purse that I left in McDonalds on the Moor, I want it back now please :) )

I've always had it memorised, and have never needed to read it from any paper or card. But I'm good like that, bank account details, credit card numbers and details, dates, phone numbers, all stored in my tiny brain 8)

I do agree, though, much easier to lose a letter than it is to lose a card that you can keep in your wallet or purse... and leave in Mcdonalds

Archived