Sheffield Xmas lights in the 60's

swanny

Can anyone remember how good the Christmas lights used to be in Sheffield in the 60's? As a small child, I remember my parents taking me to view the lights which stretched all the way through the town and down to the bottom of the moor. The peace gardens was set up like a Santa's grotto. I was so excited by it all. The lights were excellent in those days, especially for children.

Coddy,

Don't tell me I've actually found someone on this site older than me or at least as old! Or could it just be that I was and always will be a big kid at heart. Wasn't there a Grotto at the bottom of the Moor too? I think it was in the location of the Manpower building. I remember moving reindeers etc., There's no comparison with the lights these days ey!

Originally posted by swanny

Can anyone remember how good the Christmas lights used to be in Sheffield in the 60's? As a small child, I remember my parents taking me to view the lights which stretched all the way through the town and down to the bottom of the moor. The peace gardens was set up like a Santa's grotto. I was so excited by it all. The lights were excellent in those days, especially for children.

You mean it's NOT like that anymore??:o

Oh no, so where do the little uns go now then. My kids used to love it. :sad:

The City still has some lights nowadays but they just don't compare with the days of old. The Devonshire Green area is probably the best area for the lights. I understand the shop keepers there contribute to the cost.

I agree with swanny

I was passing through the city centre this evening, and teh "lights" were "lit up"

They looked really, really poor, i'm sorry to say.

On my way down Waingate, there were strands of tinsel, wrapped around the lamps, and there were umpteen bulbs, that were blown already.

IMO, Pathetic, considering there was a big thing supposed to be going on this afternoon about a switch on,

Around Castle Square, it was all very hit and miss, some of teh tableaux hung from the street lams were lit, others not, (I mean whole swathes were "out")

Absolutely poor!! I'm really apalled, and it takes a lot for me to be critical of the city.

PT

I remember the grotto in the peace gardens .It was a treat to be seen. I remember it being like a mini maze to get to Santa. I have difficulty trying to explain to my kids what the peace gardens were like in those far of days of my youth.

I also remember the chestnut man at the top of the bus station next to the Penny Black pub oooh what a treat to hold onto the hot nuts (I was always afraid I might get a magot in them so I wasn't bothered about eating them).The lights being switched on were the start of Christmas as far as I was concerned. Happy days and happy memories.

Archived