Sheffield Xmas lights in the 60's

swanny

Can anyone remember how good the Christmas lights used to be in Sheffield in the 60's? As a small child, I remember my parents taking me to view the lights which stretched all the way through the town and down to the bottom of the moor. The peace gardens was set up like a Santa's grotto. I was so excited by it all. The lights were excellent in those days, especially for children.

I remember the "Grotto" vividly...I was in awe of the place...I tell my kids about it all the time...but not the one in the peace gardens, it was at the bottom of the moor near ecclesall road end...opposite what used to be "Lewis Leathers"...they sold all the leather gear for the "rockers" to which I became a party to...Ahh the memories...skin toght jeans and leather jacket etc....I now live in Australia, visited England in 1994 and was totally disgusted with the Moor !!!!! empty...all gone to Meadow Hall....could not believe it..and they had filled in the hole in the road near walsh's..! what next?

After queing for ages you got to meet santa who gave you some liquirice allsorts and he had a massive yale key, that was the key to get into your house with.

Anyone rembember the dancing waters in the Peace Gardens, 1966 i think for the World Cup.Also the Guiness display, some simular to dancing waters in Fitzallen Square.

I came back from 2 years in Singapore in the November of 1964. I thought it was absolutely magical to see the lights down the moor and I remember the grotto at the Ecclesall Rd end.

My daughter who was about 3 at the time walked about with her mouth and eyes wide open...she thought it was great too, as of course was Santa.:thumbsup:

After queing for ages you got to meet santa who gave you some liquirice allsorts and he had a massive yale key, that was the key to get into your house with.

Anyone rembember the dancing waters in the Peace Gardens, 1966 i think for the World Cup.Also the Guiness display, some simular to dancing waters in Fitzallen Square.

Yes, I remember the dancing waters, thought they were brill!

Do you remember the Big Crowns that used to be suspended in a line running down the centre of the Moor? They used to frighten me as a kid because of the way that they swayed in the wind and when you sat at the front on the top deck of the bus it felt like you were going to bang into them.

I don't know if it's true but somebody once told me that they were bought second hand from Blackpool!

Also I remember the fibre glass reindeer (that were lit up from inside), around the top of the Hole in the road.

Do you remember the crown hanging outside the old star and telegraph buildings on high st, due to the fact they were constructing the subway at the bottom of fargate/high st the cherry picker couldn't get near it to take it down and it was still hanging there the following spring!

Nostalgia, it's a thing of the past

• 9 months later...

:thumbsup:i REMEMBER GOING DOWN THE MOOR TO A BUILDING SITE ,BEING LED AROUND MAZE LIKE PATH THROUGH A BUILDING SITE TO A WOODEN HUT WITH SANTA SOME ELVES AND BERT BASSET WHO GAVE ME A BOX OF LIQURICE ALLSORTS i THINK AND i REMEBER THE CROWNS SHEFFIELD LIGHTS WHERE SECOND TO N0N IN THE SIXTIES AND SEVENTIES.OR WAS IT BECAUSE i WAS A CHILD

Archived