Of All Cars You've Owned What's Your Favourite?

LOL unless it's a K series engine :hihi:

(Head gasket, anyone?)

Been there, done that.

I recall Rover having a serious problem with fan belts a few years ago, as well. If you go back far enough you'd probably come to a time when they were ... reliably reliable.

The nicest car in my experience was the Saab 93. Ferraris look great but they're a terror to drive.

Triumph Herald, I loved learning to drive in that car, it had a long accelerator pedal which was great for putting a brick on when it was freezing cold and needed to let it tick over to warm up the engine, would turn on a sixpence and had a reserve fuel tank , which came in very handy because I was always running out. I thought it was dead posh with it shiny walnut dashboard. My Insurance back in 1981 as a learner driver on my dads insurance was £64. I was the only girl from my class at school that left in 1980 to have her own car, Boy I bet I showed off big time lol:hihi:

LOL unless it's a K series engine :hihi:

(Head gasket, anyone?)

Poor maintainence on the owners part was the cause of many K-series HGF.

I owned 2 Metro GTi 16v K-series, neither one of them had any inkling of HGF and both were driven hard and beasted around a few track days.

The K-series design was considered revolutary and would have been a contender to Hondas VTEC, the VVC variant K-series that is.

A 2.0 K-series engine exists and had an output of just over 230hp, compared to the 2.0 VTEC at only 207bhp

However the original design specs were altered by Rover's upper manangement and produced to a price rather than the design. They replaced parts that were specified to be metal with cheaper plastic parts. The oil & water channels were not refined properly leading to circulatory problems. Finally Rover skimped on the headgasket material itself, later reticfied in the K-series engines fitted to the MGs and Freelander.

Had Rover management not done this and built the K-series properly I have no doubt that the Rover brand not only would still be trading, but would be a strong operator in the car industry.

Archived