Assuming Britain actually is a secular country- can it remain so?

danot

Have we moved out of the first millennium?

Why do 26 (unelected) Christian priests sit in the House of Lords?

Why do Christians feel the need to 'swear by Almighty God' when giving testimony, rather than just promising 'to tell the truth'?

Why do members of the judiciary swear 'by Almighty God' to serve Her Majesty the Queen (head of the Protestant church), rather than to just 'do the right thing'?

Because that's what we do in Britain at the present time! Now if you feel you can replace some of these rules with something more relevant to the times why not suggest a few!

It makes a difference to the rate of increase in a population. If families average one mother and four children each, the population would double each generation; if they average two mothers and four children each, the population would remain static.

..and as I said, you don't have to be married to procreate, as mossdog so eloquently endorsed.

..and as I said, you don't have to be married to procreate, as mossdog so eloquently endorsed.

Very true. The relevant question, insofar as we were discussing how rapidly the Muslim population is increasing, is to find out the average number of children each woman is having. (I have no idea what the answer to that question might be.)

Because that's what we do in Britain at the present time! Now if you feel you can replace some of these rules with something more relevant to the times why not suggest a few!

Forgive me, but where did I say I disagreed with any of these 'rules'?

I was solely addressing a point about the separation of the church from government and the constitution.

Do you believe the church/religion has no influence over politics and how the country is governed?

Very true. The relevant question, insofar as we were discussing how rapidly the Muslim population is increasing, is to find out the average number of children each woman is having. (I have no idea what the answer to that question might be.)

..and that's the salient point.

Since we're without any evidence, let's look at one currently notable Muslim, who hails from one of the areas the OP has highlighted.

Mohammed Farah, is a 28 year old Muslim, born in Somalia. He's married and is step father to his (British) wife's daughter and has no biological children himself.

It's the procedure or polygamy that is illegal here, not the act of polygamy. Nice try BF.:hihi:

Well I don't know any Muslims who have more than one wife, but what point does your semantics make here? If it's illegal to enter into a polygamous marriage what are you worried about?

Forgive me, but where did I say I disagreed with any of these 'rules'?

I was solely addressing a point about the separation of the church from government and the constitution.

Do you believe the church/religion has no influence over politics and how the country is governed?

No ,forgive me BF,I just picked up from the tone of your reply that you shall we say, inferred a back door disagreement with the questions you raised..........but well, only you know.

As for religion influencing politics,I think it is just another block vote to be captured and massaged these days and is used by the politicos of the day to maintain their stance as long as possible in their career.Mammon is the main ruler,that's the tune they all eventually dance to............nothing changes much!

Well I don't know any Muslims who have more than one wife, but what point does your semantics make here? If it's illegal to enter into a polygamous marriage what are you worried about?
It isn't illegal to enter into a polygamous marriage. You could return to this country with 6 wives and live with them perfectly legally. All British law prevents you from doing is conducting the services here.

No ,forgive me BF,I just picked up from the tone of your reply that you shall we say, inferred a back door disagreement with the questions you raised..........but well, only you know.
No probs mossdog, in fact I was brought up in a devoutly Christian household and although I'd claim to not believe in god, there's still a supernatural fear I have of him, if that oxymoron can make any sense. Im perfectly happy to swear on a Bible, (rather than affirm) and have a lot of time for most of the bishops and archbishops who sit in the House of Lords, but I don't believe we can claim that religion has no influence over us, even if it's only notionally.

As for religion influencing politics,I think it is just another block vote to be captured and massaged these days and is used by the politicos of the day to maintain their stance as long as possible in their career.Mammon is the main ruler,that's the tune they all eventually dance to............nothing changes much!

I think you're right, whilst ever the populace are ambivalent about religion, it's mainly a positive for political leaders to believe in 'god' and at worst has a neutral effect at the ballot box!

Archived