Assuming Britain actually is a secular country- can it remain so?

danot

Of course, using your logic, it would not matter if an ultra-Christian fundamentaist government took hold and forced us all to go to Church and say Grace before every meal even in public restaurants.

How is that using my logic?

My logic is that taking a passive role in someone else's belief system is meaningless if you don't believe in it in the first place. There is a huge difference between that and being physically or legally forced to actually take part in their religious practices.

And if you are worried about it happening, remember that an ultra Christian fundamentalist government is a much more likely scenario in the UK than an ultra-Islamic fundamentalist government as there are way more fundamental Xtians here than fundamental Muslims.

And this is unlikely to change, however you do the maths. :hihi:

John X

It's forced consumption of religious practice, it doesn't matter if you believe in it or not, you don't need to believe in it, you're still being forced to partake in that religious practice.

Exactly, and the likes auto and John x sooo would kick up a stink if the tap water was Catholic Holy water.

But you don't know to what extent 'polygamy' is in the UK

..and even if it's true it's hardly likely to have any material influence on the question posed by your thread is it, especially as many of them will not be child bearing.

But the 'difference' is irrelevant if the numbers involved are minuscule.

The other issue you've overlooked is the whole polygamy thing in terms of the birth rate is a total red herring.

If polygamous marriages were perfectly legal, it still wouldn't have any material effect on the birth rate since there isn't an endless supply of Muslim women to procreate with.

Babies born will be roughly 50/50 male and female, so since in polygamous marriages a man can have several wives but a woman can only have one husband, the same number of women are procreating as would be if they were in monogamous marriages.

The husband with 4 wives has effectively taken 3 'out of circulation' who would have been having children with someone else otherwise. Ironically, in polygamous societies the birth rate might be lower than monogamous ones, since one man is having to support many wives and children.

It's you that appears to be overlooking the point BF. If one muslim man fathers, let's say, 12 kids with his 4 wives, he will undoubtedly raise them according to Islamic law, as would most muslim fathers I imagine.

Let's say six of his kids are male, once again, each son will undoubtedly raise their kids according to Islamic law also, which is why I consider Islam to be the fastest growing of all major religions.

there are way more fundamental Xtians here than fundamental Muslims.

John X

Is that so? well the Muslim fundies are outperforming their Christian fundie counterparts in the UK in terms of terrorist acts.

BTW, I notice you can't even bring yourself to type Christ....you've used an X instead :suspect: is it because its quicker and easier? well "fundamental" has more letters than "Christian" but you managed to type that twice :roll:

Exactly, and the likes auto and John x sooo would kick up a stink if the tap water was Catholic Holy water.

So after saying that if the tap water was holy water it would mean nothing to anyone who didn't believe in holy water, why on earth would I kick up a stink?

:confused:

John X

It's you that appears to be overlooking the point BF. If one muslim man fathers, let's say, 12 kids with his 4 wives, he will undoubtedly raise them according to Islamic law, as would most muslim fathers I imagine.

Let's say six of his kids are male, once again, each son will undoubtedly raise their kids according to Islamic law also, which is why I consider Islam to be the fastest growing of all major religions.

..I'm not overlooking the point at all danot, just because someone is raised in a particular faith doesn't mean they will follow it. As I said earlier I was raised in a devout Christian household and couldn't wait to extricate myself from it, most of the people of my generation are the same.

I know you'll probably say "ah but Muslims are different", well a couple of weeks ago I had some very lively dialogue with a Jehovah's Witness, he was trying to demonstrate the popularity of his religion by telling me that they have so many Muslims who've converted that they have their own assemblies in Urdu.

Archived