Assuming Britain actually is a secular country- can it remain so?

danot

That rests on the assumption that all Muslims (or even a significant minority) would want would want such a thing.

Even discounting your amusing 'think of a number' approach to mathematics it's still a hopelessly vague and baseless fear.

Consider this then if you will.

According to the office of national statistics who's figures were obtained through the quarterly labour force survey of around 53,000 homes, there are more than 46.2 million Christians in Britain, but while the biggest majority is among the over 70 bracket, for muslims it is the under 4's.

Probably that those figures are markedly reduced in just a decade or two, like the % of Church of England weddings down from 80-odd% to 25% in less than 2 decades.

We may for now be a Christian nation, but unless the immigrant communities start practicing abstinence from nookie in the next few days and stick to it for 50 years, our ethnic demographics - and along with that our religious balance - is going to swing massively and rapidly.

Seems a normally rational poster like yourself Conrod has been bitten by the same Idiotbug that bit danot on the arse ;)

I remember in the 70's the indigenous moaning about black immigrants taking 'their women' and the whole population eventually turning black, when in fact the opposite is becoming true as those mixed race children procreate with white people, it's more likely my own grandchildren will look more like you than they do me Conrod, I'd only lose sleep if they shared your political vision :hihi:

It's likely young Muslims will follow the same path, as they share their development with non Muslims at school, university and work-notionally they might describe themselves as Muslims, as we describe ourselves as Christians in the post you so well articulated, but the reality is when push comes to shove it will have less and less meaning to them than it does the generations that preceded them.

I for one will never buy KFC knowing that is has appeased the loud minority by going over to Halal meat (mind you, I’m not so sure I’d be that keen on greasy fried rat they sell if I knew it came from the grounds of a Monastery either).

Many of the KFC franchises are owned by Muslims, it's the kind of thing they do well, so if anything they've been appeasing you by offering non halal meat in their outlets ;)

But in all seriousness, you're the minority since the majority don't give a fig whether the meat is halal or not..the curry houses of the UK would be deserted every weekend if that wasn't the case.

Do religious leaders have any kind of political authority?

Do they influence political decisions?

I think I have read somewhere that some chairs in the house of the lords are occupied by religious leaders (from the Anglican church).

The assertion was that being called a sinner by a Muslim was a scary thing likely to see your life in danger. An obvious lie really.

They also don't fear being called a sinner by a Muslim, or anyone else really. But if someone does as you imply call you a sinner in a different language it's hardly likely to bother you.

Over egging the pudding.

what makes you think that kids born into muslim families 2 generations on will be muslim
Having personally observed the importance of Islamic values and traditions among Muslims, I'd say it's highly probable. Just because a muslim doesn't live by Islamic values doesn't mean they won't judge others by those values. It's a religion don't forget.

Do religious leaders have any kind of political authority?

Do they influence political decisions?

I think I have read somewhere that some chairs in the house of the lords are occupied by religious leaders (from the Anglican church) .

They take part in debates in the lords but I dont think they can vote.

Archived