Assuming Britain actually is a secular country- can it remain so?

danot

He just walks straight past me like I'm a stranger and doesn't stop to talk me even though I went through school with him from 5 - 16 years old halibut - why what's your problem this time ? (big sigh)

What, and you've assumed it's something to do with his faith?

I just can't see how it's relevant to the discussion.

An old mate has grown a beard and doesn't really talk much to you anymore...happens all the time, what does it add to this discussion?

About 7%, but that's irrelevant. In the 2011 YouGov poll, 53% of UK respondents identified themselves as Christian.

But there are many reasons that we are quite rightly identified as Christian nation.

- Our laws and governance are based on the teachings of the Bible and the Ten Commandments - our legislature has modernised but its derivation from the Christian principles is plain for any to see.

- About a million people attend church on Sundays, roughly the same figure as attend league football (do you dispute football as a national sport for the UK?).

- 10% of the population attend some sort of Christian service on Christmas day. That's 3 million people.

- 85% of people visit a church at some time during the year, whether that be for worship or attendance of funerals/weddings

- Our monarch and head of state is also the defender of our faith.

Our Lords, MPs, senior civil servants, Policemen and military leader are sworn into their positions by Christian oaths.

- Many people choose to marry in church (I suppose among those who wish their children to be legitimised, at any rate). About 80% of Catholics and a quarter of protestants still marry in church.

And when's the last time you came across somebody whose dying wishes or family demanded a non-Christian burial?

Most of which have no religious significance anymore in modern society, unlike the traditions and rituals that are undertaken in the name of Islam.

I have to disagree with you there considering most mixed relationships have resulted in the women being required to convert to Islam. Muslim males of any generation are not as willing as you quite clearly believe they are to abandon Islam. Islam holds many unfair advantages for Muslim males which they're quite prepared to continue exploiting.

I don't understand.

Is this personal opinion or fact?

If you can respect and acknowledge that the meat must be halal if it is blessed in accordance with Islamic Law, why do you insist that additional wives are not actually wives when they're married in accordance with the same Islamic law?:huh:

I think you'll find that BF was making a distinction between marriages recognised by Islam and marriages recognised under British law.

Which amounts to a 33% increase in every generation.

Right children, lets do the maths then, based on your own claim:

The following makes two huge assumptions which are very unlikely, but mean that these figures are the absolute maximum they could be. In reality they would be a lot less! These assumptions are:

1. That only the Muslim population increases and that all other populations remain static (no growth no reduction)

2. That every new birth to Muslim parents results in a child who grows up to embrace and practice Islam.

Year...... Muslim population........ as %age of UK

2011......... 1.6 million ...................... 2.1 %

2031......... 2.12 million.................... 3.04%

2051......... 2.81 million.................... 4.02%

2071........ 3.73 million..................... 5.33%

2091........ 4.96 million..................... 7.08%

2111........ 6.59 million..................... 9.4%

Sorry about the dots but it was the only way to make the table look like a table! :D

Anyway, as can be clearly seen, if the Muslim population increases by 33% in every generation and all other populations remain static, the Muslim population would not even reach 10% of the UK total in one hundred years!

So can we have an end to this 'we are being swamped by Islam' and 'we will have Sharia law in 5 years time'. The only people have an interest in perpetuating this nonsense are the nasty little racists who have their own agenda. :suspect:

John X

Most religions have values- and many do try to pass these down to their kids and so forth.

I was listening to a Radio 5 debate this morning and although it was mainly on the Bible, there were different callers who were either from another religion or none- I heard the caller who classed himself as an atheist, say that one good thing religion had was the values they influence.

I'm not saying non religious persons have no values- of course they do, but the religions like Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism (probably more) all have certain values- with many revolving around family and which one way or another stems from their books.

Of course, but to what extent should a religion be allowed to enforce it's teachings before the teachings are deemed by a society to be- misogynistic, homophobic, sadistic?..

What, and you've assumed it's something to do with his faith?

I just can't see how it's relevant to the discussion.

An old mate has grown a beard and doesn't really talk much to you anymore...happens all the time, what does it add to this discussion?

No no no Halibut I've got loads and loads of old mates and trust me HE is the only one who has grown a long beard and doesn't talk to me any more, is that just coincidence ? errr to me no it isn't, or are you going to tell me now that I'm making it up and proceed to tell me all my old mates names or say things like I bet they're in jail (and no they are not) , or say I haven't got any old mates as I wouldn't expect anything less from yourself !

I have to disagree with you there considering most mixed relationships have resulted in the women being required to convert to Islam. Muslim males of any generation are not as willing as you quite clearly believe they are to abandon Islam. Islam holds many unfair advantages for Muslim males which they're quite prepared to continue exploiting.
You're talking about your perception of the position NOW, and extending that as a factual account of how things will be, that's what I'm disputing with you.

I don't understand.

If you can respect and acknowledge that the meat must be halal if it is blessed in accordance with Islamic Law,

I've no interest in halal meat other than eating it, just like any other meat.

why do you insist that additional wives are not actually wives when they're married in accordance with the same Islamic law?:huh:

Where have I insisted that? I've said consistently throughout this thread that mistresses, wives, girlfriends etc can be regarded however they want to be by the participants in the relationship, however they won't be considered 'wives' in the context of English Law.

Maybe in the distant future there will be a convergence of East-West culture and ideals.

Perhaps they'll build a mosque at Brammall Lane and the faithful will be called ro worship United on Saturdays

Yer only sing when yer prayin, yer only sing when yer prayin.:hihi:

Sorry!!

..and how many millions of Muslims aged under 4 are there in the United Kingdom? How do you know how many will consider themselves Muslims when they reach the age of majority?
I don't, but time will tell, and I believe it will prove me right.

No no no Halibut I've got loads and loads of old mates and trust me HE is the only one who has grown a long beard and doesn't talk to me any more, is that just coincidence ? errr to me no it isn't, or are you going to tell me now that I'm making it up and proceed to tell me all my old mates names or say things like I bet they're in jail (and no they are not) , or say I haven't got any old mates as I wouldn't expect anything less from yourself !

No, I'm not suggesting that you've made it up at all - I'm trying to understand what you think it means?

Are you suggesting Islam turns people away from their friends? I don't get it?

Archived