Assuming Britain actually is a secular country- can it remain so?

danot

Obviously not BF. Why would I? What I believe is, any garment that is worn to conceal the face for religious reasons poses no more or no less of a risk to security than a garment worn for none religious reasons and anyone that thinks different are bonkers.

But there doesn't exist a prohibition on any garment that covers the face and there never has been.

It became an issue not because of an increase in crime (if that were the case face coverings would have been banned long ago), but when a few women took to wearing the burka on our streets.

For what purpose? Yourself, Halibut and Cyclone have already assured me that it's highly likely that the police would stop me.

There you go then, so what are we arguing about? :)

Oops just read yr post properly, I'm afraid I believe it's highly unlikely you'd be stopped unless the police had another reason other than you wearing a balaclava to stop you

Nobody but you is saying that there should be such a presumption.
That a bare faced lie.

Posted by Cyclone

No, it's correct, you can wear whatever you like whenever you like, the law shouldn't and doesn't constrain your freedom (actually decency laws do, but I think they should be repealed).

Then why are there restrictive rules on when and where it's considered inappropriate to wear none religious face concealing garments.

Then why are there restrictive rules on when and where it's considered inappropriate to wear none religious face concealing garments.

Hardly restrictive; you could reasonably be asked to remove face coverings to prove your identity - at an airport security desk or in a bank for example.

Someone wearing religiously based face covering clothing could also be asked to do so.

No double standard. Except in your head.

The exemptions are in your head rather in law though aren't they?

A woman wearing a niqab could be and would be stopped and asked to account for themseleves the same as you and I could if a police officer ahd grounds to believe she was up to no good.

Right, but first she would have to remove the Niqab and put on such as a goggle jacket, then she'd most likely be viewed by police as "being up to no good", simply for wearing a face concealing garment that has no religious or cultural significance. Would the police still be right in stopping her?

<SNIPPED> due to being nonsensical.

But there doesn't exist a prohibition on any garment that covers the face and there never has been.

It became an issue not because of an increase in crime (if that were the case face coverings would have been banned long ago), but when a few women took to wearing the burka on our streets.

And pointing this out establishes what? That some people are against the Niqab because they don't like Muslims?

That's not my beef my friend.

(2)This subsection confers power on any constable in uniform—.

(a)to require any person to remove any item which the constable reasonably believes that person is wearing wholly or mainly for the purpose of concealing his identity;.

(b)to seize any item which the constable reasonably believes any person intends to wear wholly or mainly for that purpose..

Archived