Toddler dies at Skegness Water Leisure Park

I was looking at this campsite myself recently for a trip with the kids, as where I wanted to go was full. The website says it's a family site but I was put off by the photos of what seemed to be large expanses of water with no fences round whatsever.

I find it hard to digest that sites that claim they are 'family sites' have large areas of deep water unfenced.

I was looking at this campsite myself recently for a trip with the kids, as where I wanted to go was full. The website says it's a family site but I was put off by the photos of what seemed to be large expanses of water with no fences round whatsever.

I find it hard to digest that sites that claim they are 'family sites' have large areas of deep water unfenced.

Aye, condolences to this poor family, a horror story.

Maybe the sites that have water expect parents to be ultra vigilant as regards their offspring?. What's the answer. No water maybe?.

Regards

Angel.

Aye, condolences to this poor family, a horror story.

Maybe the sites that have water expect parents to be ultra vigilant as regards their offspring?. What's the answer. No water maybe?.

Regards

Angel.

I read on one of the news reports that the manager said they make it clear to families on arrival that there are lakes on the park. One commentator said that the lakes are clearly marked with warning signs, but with all due respect, that's no use to a toddler.

I know this is not the only death of a child on a British Holiday Park in water. I appreciate that campsites are businesses and want to attract different types of holiday makers but if they want to be family parks I think open water is a no brainer - it should be inaccessible to young children. Fences and high locking gates around deep water have to be the minimum, I'd say.

I read on one of the news reports that the manager said they make it clear to families on arrival that there are lakes on the park. One commentator said that the lakes are clearly marked with warning signs, but with all due respect, that's no use to a toddler.

I know this is not the only death of a child on a British Holiday Park in water. I appreciate that campsites are businesses and want to attract different types of holiday makers but if they want to be family parks I think open water is a no brainer - it should be inaccessible to young children. Fences and high locking gates around deep water have to be the minimum, I'd say.

I totally agree, looking at the website and the caravans near . . . surely at least some fencing would be required?

What a tragic loss, poor little lad. The parents must be going through hell.

As for the campsite itself, it's a great family site with two sports lakes and an airstrip. There is plenty of space away from the water.

I totally agree, looking at the website and the caravans near . . . surely at least some fencing would be required?

In that case the lakes at Rother Valley should also be fenced off.

Archived