Steak Tartare in Sheffield

fyttes

I think you will find it difficult to find in Sheffield. I don't know of any restaurants in the city that would trust themselves to make it or let their customers loose on it without understanding.

Most people would probably think it was a nice steak with tartar sauce on the side and ask for it well done, Sheffield style with chips. :D

Maybe Fischer's would do it as a special, but I can't see anyone having it on the regular menu.

I must agree - steak tartare is a dish that I do not hold much favour for. In my opinion it's not a 'timeless' French dish such as Duck Confit or Cassoulet. It's more of a throwback to the 1980's when baby corn [an appauling vegetable devoid of flavour, colour and texture] was seen as 'hip' and the height of sophistication was serving 2 or 3 uncooked vegetables on a white plate.

Thankfully cooking these days is focusing more and more on food that one actually wants to eat. Carpaccio is far, far better than steak tartare and in September I had the good fortune of being able to taste it at Harry's Bar where it was invented in 1961.

If you want to taste a meat that contains more flavour when raw I suggest you try thin slices of seared wild tuna - it's simply divine. Beef is not a meat that benefits from being eaten raw, rare most definitely, but not raw.

Steak Tartare is raw finely chopped fillet of beef, usually served in a circle which I think you then break a raw egg into the middle of and mash it all up. Accompaniments are varied but include things like gherkins, capers, diced raw onions possibly hardboiled eggs sieved, but I may be getting mixed up with caviar. Eat raw!

If you could shove it all on grill for 10 minutes I'd eat it!

Archived