Allergy sufferer advice?

If you are looking for a different tactic, and your wife doesn't mind needles, then you can get your doctor to recommend her to the Allergy Unit at the Northern General Hospital and to go through an allergy desensitisation programme. It takes 3 years to complete, but offers a longer term solution because she'd be less sensitive to them. I'm just about to start this week, so I'll know more about it if you are interested.

An alternative strategy - not necessarily a recommended one - is to take antihistamines and just live with it.

I'm allergic to our cat - well, the cat that lives with us. It's not exactly ours, that would imply that we had some say in the matter! - and, since we can't eliminate the cat, I just take a cetirizine tablet once a day. They cost less than a pound for two weeks' worth from Home Bargains.

40p a week is a small price to pay for not having to evict the cat. Whether it's the best policy for an allergy to dust mites, I couldn't say - and they may not work for your wife anyway. I can only say for certain that they work for me.

I'd strongly recommend a Sebo :)

I used to sell vacs in John Lewis, and the feedback from customers who felt their lives had been radically improved by the purchase of one was somewhat surprising

I've had the same one for 15 years and it's still going strong - so worth the money (oh, and it has S-class filtration, and a sensible way of disposing of dust that doesn't involve confronting a jug full of dust :gag: ) The Hoover rep used to turn up with a suction meter, and nothing (including the Dyson) outsucked the Sebo (even though it was most used/demonstrated and didn't have a clean bag in it ;) )

I'd also suggest regular steam cleaning. I found a non-pressurised one perfectly adequate, but if you can afford it, pressurised is better

Archived