Trying to trace a grave of Agnes Scaife (born 1871 died 1920)

hillc4

There is a death for a John Mottram Scaife 19 days old died 1906 and buried in Wadsley Church Cemetery - I think Agnes was a Mottram so it maybe her baby. Wadsley church maybe worth a look!!

thats really interesting because my grandad was born the year after that so it could be linked to the family as there were a lot of infant deaths around then, and you are right she was a mottram. she died at the age of 49 years of age, my grandad was then only 15 years of age.

Was your Grandad Gordon ?

If this is him in 1911 they lived on Carlsle st. at this time his parents had 6 children and had lost 11 children, his father William Henry was a steelworks labourer. Times were hard and a lot of graves were unmarked, but I would guess at City Rd or Burngreave from that area.

I you pm me email address I will send you the 1911 census sheet. Hope this helps.

Hi you could always go to the city road cemmetry and ask them as long as you have the death they should be able to help ...if not buried there go to the ones you cemmetrys you think may have been used ....i found the eact plot at city road for my great nan / grandad unfortunatly there was no headstone but at least I now know which spot it is in ...hope this helps

There are a few other Scaifes in Wadsley too so if you have any other names to match them with please let us know.:)

hiya i went to wadsley to find but had no luck finding any scaife,s unfortunatley, but thankyou for the information i will keep trying

Was your Grandad Gordon ?

If this is him in 1911 they lived on Carlsle st. at this time his parents had 6 children and had lost 11 children, his father William Henry was a steelworks labourer. Times were hard and a lot of graves were unmarked, but I would guess at City Rd or Burngreave from that area.

I you pm me email address I will send you the 1911 census sheet. Hope this helps.

thankyou for the information i cant beleive she lost 11 children that is something i didnt know, i forwarded my e mail so once again thankyou im just waiting to get her death certificate

Hi you could always go to the city road cemmetry and ask them as long as you have the death they should be able to help ...if not buried there go to the ones you cemmetrys you think may have been used ....i found the eact plot at city road for my great nan / grandad unfortunatly there was no headstone but at least I now know which spot it is in ...hope this helps

thanks will do that just waiting for death certificate to come

hiya i went to wadsley to find but had no luck finding any scaife,s unfortunatley, but thankyou for the information i will keep trying

According to the disc Sheffield Churchyard burials produced by Sheffield and District Family History Society these are the ones at Wadsley

SCAIFE Ann 4 Jan 1900 Sheffield Workhouse 48 132

SCAIFE Harold 9 Jan 1902 "Wadsley, Bland Lane" 4m 115

SCAIFE John 7 Nov 1899 "Wadsley, Far Lane" 5m 94

Hi you could always go to the city road cemmetry and ask them as long as you have the death they should be able to help ...if not buried there go to the ones you cemmetrys you think may have been used ....

City Road should have records for all te cemeteries in Sheffield so one visit should be enough

According to the disc Sheffield Churchyard burials produced by Sheffield and District Family History Society these are the ones at Wadsley

SCAIFE Ann 4 Jan 1900 Sheffield Workhouse 48 132

SCAIFE Harold 9 Jan 1902 "Wadsley, Bland Lane" 4m 115

SCAIFE John 7 Nov 1899 "Wadsley, Far Lane" 5m 94

thankyou very much harold is a definate match as they were living on bland lane at that time, i just need to make a connection with john scaife now but im pretty sure he is one of them too.

Archived