Does Rotherham lack character and personality?

You are surely joking, don't get me wrong Sheffield CC is a dump, but Rotherham TC is almost none existant.

No I'm not joking, honestly I love it, the fact that it is small and compact is what I like, you can get all that you need cheaply and easily...now if you are a shopaholic you would probably hate the lack of shops, but I like to go straight to the shop buy what I want and go home :hihi:

I lived in Rotherham from 1992 til we came here in 2005. During that time the town centre went from reasonable to practically non existant. When M&S eventually took themselves off to Parkgate, it finished the place IMO.

Last time I visited the centre, I looked for the one decent coffee shop I used to visit, Merrill's. Its no longer there either. :o

However, there are some lovely villages and suburbs in Rotherham, with decent local shopping. So its not all doom and gloom.

I lived in Rotherham from 1992 til we came here in 2005. During that time the town centre went from reasonable to practically non existant. When M&S eventually took themselves off to Parkgate, it finished the place IMO.

Last time I visited the centre, I looked for the one decent coffee shop I used to visit, Merrill's. Its no longer there either. :o

However, there are some lovely villages and suburbs in Rotherham, with decent local shopping. So its not all doom and gloom.

Absolutely agree Ms Macbeth there are some lovely parts of Rotherham, I would love to live there just not sure how to make it happen.

A lot of people seem to judge Rotherham, as a whole, purely based on it's town centre. Admittedly, that bit isn't good, but the majority of the rest of it is pretty good.

I moved to Rotherham, from Sheffield, in 2003 and can't see myself ever moving back now. As an overall living experience, I find it far more pleasant than Sheffield.

The best thing that happened to Rotherham town centre was the recession, it means they now have a “green” area next to the church rather than the planned shopping complex ……….. as people have said it’s the outlaying villages that make Rotherham not the dated town centre.

But at what cost, how can they justify a cost of over 3 million pound for it. Another total waste of money, much like ther revamped outside market, empty stalls all over the place, councillor I will have my way no-matter what Gerald Smith and his large screen TV (£175.000) in All Saints Square, the millions of pounds on the new railway station now running nearly 12 month over completion time, your not telling me that Rotherham needs a station of this size and cost. New council offices, why when the towns got no bigger and the old offices have sufficed for many years. Over £1.3 million in councillors expenses last year. Rotherham has turned into a ghost town over the last 15 years and to be honest I can't see it getting any better. I have lived in Rotherham for over 62 years, worked here from leaving school, the town used to be a thriving place to live, but its just gone downhill fast. (Rant over)

. I have lived in Rotherham for over 62 years, worked here from leaving school, the town used to be a thriving place to live, but its just gone downhill fast. (Rant over)

You forgot to mention the town hall.

The council refused to comment on claims that Town Hall carpets cost £80,000 and wallpaper £60,000, but divulged that £2.46 million was spent on the new Doncaster Gate offices and £793,000 on the Eric Manns Building.

When decorating my sons room he wanted paper at £50 a roll :o, you can imagine what the answer was ………….. god knows how much a roll the council were paying.

Archived