Travellers to be evicted from Dale Farm, Essex

but then they would have to do the same for homeowners. All the travellers had to do in the first place was get planning permission! I suspect they would have had a lot of time to do this.

Why should the rules apply to such a tiny culture that's opted out? Seems pointless to me.

Why should the rules apply to such a tiny culture that's opted out? Seems pointless to me.

so if none of the rules apply then its ok for them to hold mass brawls and shoot each other in the streets because hey the laws against murder dont apply to them right?

and yes that situation has happenned, i lived near "travellers" in ireland

The rules should not apply to travellers / gypsies, as they have opted out. It's a free country leave them alone.

So which laws exactly are they allowed to opt out of and who decides?

Let's list a few crimes and you tell me why they should or should not be allowed to opt out and why any member of the general populace should also not be allowed to do the same.

Trespass on private property.

Evasion of planning regulations.

Dumping.

Theft of goods or property.

Theft of services.

Rape.

Brawling.

Murder.

Tax evasion (income).

Tax evasion (council tax).

**** fighting.

jb

Am I allowed to mention the documentary or is that deviation from the subject?

My favourite bit was "grabbing", I think that was the word. The guy grabbed the girl and if he got her outside and alone it sounded like she was expected to marry him because her reputation was then ruined:loopy: Yet they seemed to think they had better morals than the general population.

Just a thought ! Wonder who will be the first on here to support their illegal possession of this site. Usual suspects the floor is your's.

I've been beaten to the support bit but can I be the first to point out that their possession of the land is not illegal? They bought it legally. What's illegal is that they've built homes on greenbelt land without permission.

Personally I've seen what travellers have done to open park land that they've moved onto and then been kicked off and it wasn't nice. In the case of Dale Farm they didn't have planning permission and that's that. There are sites for travellers and they obviously have money in this case. They bought the site and then ignored the laws. It would be wrong to allow them to build on greenbelt land and deny other people that right. Laws are there to protect the environment and they flouted these. I don't agree with the shoot-em-on-sight brigade but the travellers haven't done themselves any favours in this case. If I were them they would sell the land and look to buy somewhere where they knew they could get planning permission to build.

Am I allowed to mention the documentary or is that deviation from the subject?

My favourite bit was "grabbing", I think that was the word. The guy grabbed the girl and if he got her outside and alone it sounded like she was expected to marry him because her reputation was then ruined:loopy: Yet they seemed to think they had better morals than the general population.

They don't have sex before marriage so in some respects they're correct.

Archived